Lighting time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dopey07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While waiting for my T5s to come in i was wondering how to set my timers up. My lights come with 3 diferent plugs, 1 for white light, 1 for blue, and one for my moonlights how should i set my timers up? i was thinkgin 1 hour blue 6 both 1 blue ... when can i use the moon lights?

You should keep the whites and the blues on for a minimum of 8 hours. Unless you're battling nuisance algae. Then you would cut back lighting time. You can keep the lights on for longer than 8 hours, but it's a waste of bulb life IMO, and too much light can cause algae issues. My halide light would turn on at 2:00PM and shut off at 10:00PM and the colors in my corals couldn't have been more vibrant. The corals were all flourishing.

You can use the moonlights pretty much whenever you want. They look better on during the night though when the other lights are off. That's why they're called moonlights. ;)

My question for the moon lights is how long should i leave them running?

For my lighting schedule:
I plan on having my blue lights on for about an hour... to imitate sunrise
Followed by 6 or so hours of regular lights
Then 1 hour of blue lights again to imitate sunset
Followed by my moonlights.. here comes the question do you guys use moonlights till the next day starts again or do u limit the amount of time for your moonlights

Back
Top Bottom