Lighting timer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynnCeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a light with three different lighting settings that are on timers. One setting is daylight; one is a neon-type of light, probably for evening or night; and the third is a set of 6 LEDs, to emulate moonlight. My question is the timing..... How long should each setting be? Should the settings be closely aligned with the natural light, (i.e., if sunrise is at 7:00 or so, should the daylight light come on at 7:00 or follow it around 8:00 instead?) Does the daylight need to be on for 12 hours, or is 8 hours sufficient?

Thanks!

It's really personal choice, and when you want to view your tank under certain lighting. In general, I think most here seem to have their main (both white and actinic) lights on for 8-12 hours. Mine are on 10 hours. The only issue with longer main light periods is the possibility of having algae issues. The LEDs can be 24 hours a day if you want, or they can be on only at night... it really doesn't matter.

I believe the "neon" type you're talking about is an actinic light? It looks very bluish? Here's my typical lighting schedule, just to give you an idea:

before 9:30am: all lights off
9:30am: actinic lights on
10:00am: actinic lights + main daylight (10k) lights on
8:00pm: daylight lights off, actinic lights still on
9:00pm: actinic lights off, LED moonlights on
7:30am: LED moonlights off

Kurt is right...it is a personal choice but I would not go with more then 10 hours of lighting (MH or your mail 10K lights)

I have my lights come on later in the day as there isn't anyone around to enjoy them early. My Actinics come on at 10am and burn until 11pm. My Left MH comes on at 11:30am and the right comes on at 12:00pm. The left goes off at 10 and the right goes off at 10:30.....my moon lights are part of my fans that keep everything cool so they are on all the time....

I also agree that it is personal choice. I have mine on for 12 hrs. I dont have any moonlights.

I agree, a personal choice. I run mine all at once, from 2PM to 10PM, so I can enjoy about three hours of fish staring, plus it gives me time for any type of maint I may need to preform.

Back
Top Bottom