??lights??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamSnorkler

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have all TrueLumen Pro LED lighting. 2 12k & actinic fusion strips, 1 actinic blue, & 1 12k diamond over a reef tank w/ all frags. My questions r can u have to many lights as long as u acclimate properly? I was thinking of grabbing more. Also can I leave my actinic strip on 24hrs?

The more light you have the more algae you will get. If you want it brighter you can use a timer to control the time the lights are on to reduce algae growth.

I have my lights on a timer now, all are on5 off19 b/c I'm acclimating new corals rite now. My goal is to get to 12/12. The actinic LEDs specifically say they only promote coral growth not algae that's y I was wondering if I could run them for 24hrs w/o stressing the coral. However I do figure a lvl of BS in their statement.

The actinic is to simulate the moon which reflects light to coral in the ocean anytime the sun isn't up of course, I would assume from this and what I've read that you can run the actinic for 12 hours. Have you ran the 12k lights for 12 hours before? I have fairly strong lights as well and used to run for 12 but algae grew so fast that the water turned brown.

I have not ran the lights 4 a 12 hr cycle yet. These are my 1st corals. Thx I'll keep a very close eye on the algea

i don't think you have enough light with all of that. those strips are for looks. they won't sustain corals long term. what size tank is this and what is the depth to the sand bed?
you'll kill your corals if you leave the lights on 24/7

Do corals grow like plants (as in above ground), in that they grow at night when the sun's down and collect energy while the sun's up?

My tank is a 65g hex, 2'3" to sandbed. All my corals are about 8-12" from top tho. My LFS & online said they were the same as having highend T5's & that I had plenty. Is this not true?

I will not do 24hr. From my research most of my corals only need moderate light. My coral list is as follows:
-Pocillopora
-Candcane Caulastrea furcata
-Yellow Digitata
-Purple Pulsing Xenia
-Purple Rim Capricornis
-Dragon eye zoanthids
-Armor of God Palythoa
-Florescent Green Mushroom

Am I gona have to go with sumthing other than LED? I hope not b/c I've already spent over $450 on LED lights but if I must I must.

no. that's not true. they are not the same as having high end T5s. i have never seen a yellow digitata. what color are the caps? are they keeping color? how long have you had the corals under these lights?

I put the corals in about 2 weeks ago. All are were sunk in & looking stressed for 1st day. Started acclimating to the light on a 4 hours on....now they are at 6 on. All look great now, tentacles & polyps are out at right times. Their excepting food. Color is looking great. I've been looking everyday for fading or bleaching. I will take a pic of the yellow digitata when I get home. I got all my corals from a member of a local reef club. He had LOTS of tanks & was growing frags of lots of "name brand coral." Before I met him I didn't realize their was such a market for "name brand" He hooked me up though

The stalks of the yellow digitata is a brownish when all closed up, but when all the small fuzzy tentacles or caps r out under actinic blue light they look florescent yellow like a highlighter. With out the blue lights it looks more greenish

Back
Top Bottom