Lights and Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that fixture will be fine for lps. it's just not as efficient as others. you can do the same job with less wattage is all.
now you have to get a good camera and post some pics!

BTW, algae is a nutrient issue. I would be doing water changes with good source water (R.O.D.I.) to combat it, not adding more eating, pooping, critters.

This is one of my problems, I don't have a RO/DI unit, and can't convince hubby into buying it yet. Can I just get the big bottles of spring water that they sell at the grocery store and use that? What's my best alternative?

sea u marine is on woodbine i believe is two lights north of hwy 7 on the right hand side

i believe they charge 6.40 a pound for live fiji rock but they also sell dry rock for 3.49 a pound

North American Fish Breeders down at Kingston and Brimley have live rock for $3.99/lb, that's where I got most of mine. Big Al's has rubble for that price but it's "homemade/cultured" LR

I'll definately be checking out these stores though! I'm @ Don Mills and Sheppard and am in between Lucky's and Big Al's but Lucky's isn't the greatest and Big Al's is a little far.

you can buy R.O.D.I. water from the lfs, or you can look for distilled water. i believe walmart sells it. spring water is not going to work.

Here's some pictures, as promised. My lights are just rigged up like this for now. My husband is going to make some legs for the fixture within the next week. The skirt around the bottom will be attached properly with velcroe after tomorrow (when I get my sewing machine :D ). I have my API kit now. My parameters are awesome! NO2 - 0; NO3 - 0; Ammonia - 0 (eating through 4ppm within 12 hours); pH - 8.2. I am so excited to get my cuc and little finned friends on Monday!

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG-20111224-00336.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00336.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20111224-00334.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00334.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-20111224-00339.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00339.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-20111224-00342.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00342.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 75
i was gettign distilled water from no frills, its pretty cheap but its a pain lugging around those jugs and bringing back 6 empties at a time

i was gettign distilled water from no frills, its pretty cheap but its a pain lugging around those jugs and bringing back 6 empties at a time

We'll check it out. Luckily, my husband won't let me carry anything :D So he'll come and carry it for me. He's even started not letting me carry the full pwc buckets lol. I'm not sure if its to take care of me or the aquarium lol

Back
Top Bottom