Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lights and Algae

Hi guys,

I'm cycled (fishless) and am adding my lights. I have a 36" (L) x 12" (W) x 18" (H) tank (35 gallons). I just bought a coraline aqualight Dlx - 30" fixture ( Coralife Aqualight Dlx- 30" - 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact )

My question is: I'm buying new light bulbs for it tonight. What ones should I buy? I want a reef tank within the next 6 months, so something that is strong enough for that.

Also, once adding the lights and leaving them on 6-8 hours per day, how many days/weeks will it take for algae to build up? I do have some on the live rock that was purchased from the LFS.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to say but that light will only keep low low light corals, green star polyps mushrooms etc. What you really want is a 4 bulb t5 Ho fixture.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

I just got a coralife hqi pro the other day. If u want a best light get that. Bit expensive though. Got it LN Craigslist bran new in the box for only 200 bucks. Unbelieveable
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I take back the questions. I went and got the coralife 30" as I said. I have 2 50/50s in it and the big als dude said its more than enough and that I may have to raise the light for some corals. So we bring it home and hubby sets it up (so excited that he's excited now) and I couldn't beieve what we found in there! The difference between the daylight, lamp light and even flash light compared to those puppies is amazing! I already have a lot of algae growth. I started with all lr so its helped. I have hair algae, coraline, sponges, the four scarlet hermits we put in there are just shoving it in their little mouths as fast as the can. I'm uber excited to get the rest of the cuc in there! We sat in front of the tank and watched everything for over an hour.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The light is enough for low light corals like mushrooms and green star polyps, but for lps,sps, anemones it is no where near enough. you can double check this with using a PAR meter. power compacts just don't put out enough light like a T5 would. But if you like the fixture then i congratulate you on a good find. Lets see some pictures!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's ok, that's what I'll be starting out with anyways, just a little tester reef before going big. I promise to add pics next week. I'm going to rearrange my rock this weekend and I'm adding 1/2 my livestock on the 26th.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
The light is enough for low light corals like mushrooms and green star polyps, but for lps,sps, anemones it is no where near enough. you can double check this with using a PAR meter. power compacts just don't put out enough light like a T5 would. But if you like the fixture then i congratulate you on a good find. Lets see some pictures!

think again sir, LPS are pretty low light if you think about it and most people that get into the hobby get into reefing more because of LPS.
LPS are mid light and that fixture is more then enough light for LPS.

she could even try keeping some low light montis closer to the top of her tank
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
think again sir, LPS are pretty low light if you think about it and most people that get into the hobby get into reefing more because of LPS.
LPS are mid light and that fixture is more then enough light for LPS.

she could even try keeping some low light montis closer to the top of her tank
This is what the Big Al's employee said. They are VERY well trained, most are aquarist
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah but remember some can be from the freshwater side of things.

there is a place in markham called sea u marine, theres were i like to go. i'll sometimes stop by big al's for dry goods but there fish and corals are over priced
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't realise that. Maybe we'll check out the one that you are talking about. Where exactly is it?

I just called Spadina Aquarium (close to where I work) and asked for their LR prices and they said $19.99/lb lmaoooooo I almost chocked on my coffee that I was drinking at the time.

Tags
algae, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com