Lights creating algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EriksFish315

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so. Got a bit of green algae growing its not too bad but was wondering if I could leave just the blues on for a few days would that cut down the algae or help at all? Or just cut the light time down all together what do you reccomend? And just the bues enough for the corals in the tank?

Corals need both bulb type. :) You can most likely go a day or two with lights out unless you have some needy light corals. I would scrape off whatever you can and vac it up then do some water changes. Watch your feeding too that can contribute to extra organics in the tank and therefore food for the algae.

Right alright sounds good. So as far as feeding every other day would be fine then? Because the corals are new so I'd prefer to keep them happy.

You don't have to feed most corals, they get everything they need from the light and the trace elements in your salt mix. :)
And yeah,. every other day is good for feeding unless you have some fish that need multiple feedings

I was referring to feeding the fish every other day. I have two clowns a damsel and chromis.

Although I did feed the Duncan 2 small mysis shrimp today one per head it was really kool. That was the reason I did just to see it eat :)

Yeah thanks for the help I plan on just cutting down the lighting been just so amazed and watching the tank to long lol. What's a good lighting schedule? Also how many hours?

I start blues at 9 am then the whites come on at 10. The whites go off at 9 and the blues shut down at 10. :)

Between shutting lights earlier and watching your feeding you will eventually win the battle with the algae. Are you using ro/di water? ALmost forgot !

No don't hurt me to bad lol out in 50mins to get one at the reef store hope its not too late?!?!

I'm still getting ro di for sure tho just thought I could go without until I go back to work in spring. Guess I'm wrong again.

I can not view that document.

Alright folks im off to the reef store be back shortly anything special I should need to know about the rodi unit as far as running it?

Alright an update on my experience for the day. I went ahead and purchased a typhoon 3 ro di 150gpd ro di system from ABC Reefs. Tried all the faucets in the house and of course the last one I try finally works. But my dads handy man will be coming over sunday for some unrelated work and will be installing the correct plumbing needed in the basement for a permanent setup.

How about this. Between switching to 100% ro di I switched out 20 gallons as soon as I got the water made and mixed. And setting the timer on my lights to a set schedule. Also how about getting what they call a law mower blenny?
Will that do the trick? Also answer to previous questions.

Just because you have algae now doesn't mea you always will. I wouldn't get a blenny unless you've thoroughy researched them. They are pretty need from what I've heard it would be easier to just swap clean water and pick out the algae

Wait a second....what kind of algae is this? If it's hair algae, a Lawn Mower Blenny will not eat it.
Save the money and do weekly water changes. Cut back on feeding. Skip feeding the corals for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom