Lights for a Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searchin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I'm going to buy some new lights. My tank is a Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) rimless, 19.5" x 7" x 10.5" deep. I am considering two light fixtures, however I have concerns with both...

I was looking at the odyssea 20" 72w T5 HO. The issue I have with this light is it may be too long for my tank since mine is only 19.5" and the fixture is 20". It has the brackets on the sides but I feel like they wouldn't be important.

The other light I am looking at is the EVO quad clip with 20 3W LEDs. The issue I have with that one is that my tank is only 7" from front to back and that light had dimensions of 14.75" x 9.25"x 1.15". Would that light protrude over the front of my tank? I know it has semi adjustable neck but I just don't know how adjustable.

I would like to grow SPS if possible. Eventually I am looking to turn this tank into a small frag tank. Simply to keep one or two of each type of coral safe in case my future display tank (that will have fish) has a disaster. I wouldn't be totally devastated lol.

Please let me know if these are valid concerns!? I'm not really worried about cost. I do somewhat favor LED since they don't need to be replaced as often/ don't produce massive quantities of heat.

Hey Convict, if I get the Par38 which degree of optics is best? It comes in 60, 90 and 120. That just describes that angle in which the light is emitted from the bulb right?

My first impression is that a wider angle is better, but before I go assuming...I want to make sure thats correct! :)

Hey Convict, if I get the Par38 which degree of optics is best? It comes in 60, 90 and 120. That just describes that angle in which the light is emitted from the bulb right?

My first impression is that a wider angle is better, but before I go assuming...I want to make sure thats correct! :)

Most people I know that have the light (and I had one myself) get the 90. That Par38 one that I linked is a pretty killer LED. It was designed after a reefer kept asking for a custom one made with certain lights. It became a hit and went into production.

Back
Top Bottom