Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lights for new 90 gallon deep tank.

Hello, I'm new here and also fairly new to this hobby figured with a new tank I'll need a little help here and there so why not join. Possibly help others as well.

Currently have pretty much all the necessities except the lighting at this point. Even though I won't have coral for awhile, I plan too. My tank is 36(l)x32(h)x18(w). I been reading and it sounds like a Metal Halide would be the way to go because of the height ofY tank. LEDs sounds good but will it be strong enough? Someone recommended the Odyssea 402W Metal Halide Adv Plus. It's only $170 which sounds great but too good maybe? Not trying to spend an arm and a leg but not trying to go cheap either. Any suggestions would be great as the more I read the more I get confused lol. Thank you.

Here is the current process of my tank..Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403138971.455085.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	240773

Andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Looks good so far. Wish I could be more help on the lights. Maybe a 6 buld t5ho. Not sure on budget but would suggest looking at LEDs...think they are the future in lighting. Also it may help to know what type of coral you want to grow. Softies, lps, sps???

bduni50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Most likely lps at least at first. Sps sounds intimidating.
Andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Two of these would grow whatever you want http://m.ebay.com/itm/380924886190?nav=VI
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

90 gallon, gallon, light, lights, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com