Lights for PTA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a pink tipped anemone yesterday it's looking fine but I was just wondering if two T8 lights would be enough to meet its requirements. One bulb is a PENN-PLAX FL20 the other is a CORALIFE 10k 120v 17w bulb are these enough to sustain a pink tip in a 40gallon

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

No where near enough light for nems, barely enough for softies maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For real? I was told it was enough for a PTA and corals like pipes and branches

No where near enough light for nems, barely enough for softies maybe

Agreed.
For real? I was told it was enough for a PTA and corals like pipes and branches

You should know by now to do research for things rather than listen to the lfs.

I have I had one for months on a normal 17watt T8 when I first started I had till my chocolate chip felt the need to eat it I bought it bleached and about a month later it started getting color again the one I have now seems to be doing very well in the tank he anchored immediately and didn't even move from where he was originally placed he's eating and everything

2 t8 bulbs over a 40g tank would be low light even for a freshwater planted tank. Its really not enough for a reef and super insufficient for a nem.

I don't have any corals something ate them and I have no idea what did but they were growing at a steady pace and I was told a 10k light would be enough by itself to support a pink tip

Choclate chip star ate your corals, and never ever listen to the person that told you all you needed for a nem was a "10k light", the k rating is nothing more than a color temperature, has nothing to di with the lights power or ability to keep coral. And honestly I believe I've answered similar questions by you a few times now, stop listening to who ever your listening to, they're either stupid or lying, and upgrade your lighting to meet your tastes.

Well what kind of lights would fit a PTAs needs/requirements

Well what kind of lights would fit a PTAs needs/requirements

I would get either a 6bulb T5HO fixture, Or at least one good led fixture. I've had great results using my ocean revive light over my SPS and I don't even use it at full power. I'm sure at full power you'll be able keep anemones easily. And they aren't too expensive.

Alright thanks but I think mine might be stupid because during the day it'll ball up but if I have the low light on or don't have any on it'll blossom out and it really confuses me any idea of what it's doing

Back
Top Bottom