Lights on and off (reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eugeneevans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am curious, I have started a reef aquarium and realized I'm afraid to turn off the lights because of the sensitivities of anenome's and corals. So my question is how many hours a day should I leave the lights on? I have 2 t5's one is 10,000k, other is uv, it is also all in my profile. Do I turn one off at night leave the blacklight on at night, both off, all on all the time? I mean really whats the rules?

What kind of anemone do you have? I know I have my rbta under a 150w mh and my maxi minis I have those under 4 t5 bulbs.

Photoperiods vary from 8hrs to 12hrs, somestime even more or less than that. The photoperiod of my reef tank spans from 12:45pm-10:45pm.

I have 2 t5's one is 10,000k, other is uv...Do I turn one off at night leave the blacklight on at night, both off, all on all the time? I mean really whats the rules?

The "uv" T5/"blacklight" that you're referring to is the 420nm actinic bulb listed in your profile. There should be time (~12hrs, give or take) when all of your tank lights are off (the exception being optional moonlights); so both of your lights should be off at night.

So photoperiod is the time that the lights are on? Also seems when the lights are off the anenome's look strange or almost sickly is that normal? You say off around 12 hours that seems like a lot to me. Is that normally how long to leave all the lights off on a day to day basis?

Yes photoperiod=the time that the tank illumination is on.

There is no 24hr sunlight over reefs in the wild. My reef's tank lights are off from 10:45pm to 12:45pm (14hrs of darkness daily).

I run my reef lights as follows: blues on at 9 am whites on at 10 am. Whites go off at 8pm and the blues then go off at 9pm.

I would start with maybe a 12/12 hour split and go up or down from there, that's what i did to get to where i am now.
:)

You might need to look into better lights for your anemones. Running lights longer isn't going to do much for their health they need strong light 1 t5 10k and an actinic bulb isn't enough to support an anemone for long.

I agree. You need a lot more light if you want to keep anemones long term in a 110. 3 times that amount (6 t5 HO lamps). What are the exact dimensions of your tank? Is this a 5' 110?

Back
Top Bottom