lights on at night rather than day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooma7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey.,

Is there any reason why i cannot have my light cycle run closer to night time than day time?
say start it at 5pm in the afternoon and have it run to midnight or whatever it is.

its just it is SO hot during the day here at the moment, and lights are making it jump even more.

also i only have a 37ltr tank (14gallon maybe?) would it be worth putting a powerhead in there to cycle the water more (and hopefully keep it a bit cooler?)

Id look into getting a fan and perhaps a small powerhead made for a small tank. Where is your tank located? If its near a window I would suggest moving it. If you're able to keep your house around 70-75 it will also help keep the tank cooler. Small tanks are notorious for swinging parameters. I sometimes have trouble keeping up with my 10 gal QT tank.

As long as you keep the tank totally dark during the day, it's no problem running the lights at night. Just keep in mind that the tank does need a period of total darkness.

We`ve had this discussion before on here and the answer is yes you could do it but you`d have to make sure that they are on the same schedule every day. If you kept moving it around your fish would struggle and their system would not be able to keep up.

I agree with Mike. Stability is the idea. What ever you decide you want your lighting schedule to be make sure it is the same from day to day. If you decide to change it down the road do it gradually.

Back
Top Bottom