Lights question 30 gal tank 24" long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a a salt water tank I would stay away from 6500k bulbs. I had a bulb burn out on my t5ho fixture and replaced it with a 6500k bulb I had on hand and it looked absolutely awful. If possible I would look for a 10000k bulb to go along with the 18000k.

The thing is that the fixture comes with these inside... I will look for a bulb in 10000k to fit my size there. Thanks for the info.

I also have a sump tank that i am building..
If i want some rock and some good alge growing there what light should i use? Not the same..right? The intense stuff is for corals...?

For my refugium I am using 2 clip on shop lights that I got for about $8 each along with some 6500k spiral CFL bulbs. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just make sure the spectrum is in the 6500k range.

That light will not support any corals except possibly mushrooms. At least a 4 bulb t5ho for corals. 6 bulb is better for mixed tanks. Personally I like LEDs and have been using the taotronics ttal-02 for some time now. ~$150-180 on eBay and they will grow anything.

That light will not support any corals except possibly mushrooms. At least a 4 bulb t5ho for corals. 6 bulb is better for mixed tanks. Personally I like LEDs and have been using the taotronics ttal-02 for some time now. ~$150-180 on eBay and they will grow anything.

I feel like I should disagree with you on this. I had a dual t5ho light over my 20g high tank for quite some time and grew softies perfectly well. I had great luck with mushrooms, zoanthids, pulsing xenia, leathers, kenya tree, and a trumpet coral.

The growth however did improve greatly when I added a 120w led over my tank.

Most would not reccomdend it. Especially if you want good color and growth from your corals

Got it. Thanks ! You saved me allot of money :)

Can you find me a link for those led you were talking about? Or give me the names of a couple.. Im having trouble finding it.. :)

I also have a sump tank that i am building..
If i want some rock and some good alge growing there what light should i use? Not the same..right? The intense stuff is for corals...?

I would use a clip on light and put in an LED bulb. This is a cheap and easy solution that should cost around 20-$25 after everything is said and done. Will cost you around 5-$8 to run year long.

For my refugium I am using 2 clip on shop lights that I got for about $8 each along with some 6500k spiral CFL bulbs. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just make sure the spectrum is in the 6500k range.

Macro Algae will grow under any color temperature. Although 6500k temp is a good temp. However these higher temp bulbs are a bit more expensive than the more warm/ white color temps commonly found in all hardware stores.

Got it :) you guys are so helpful here!

Sump already has a lamp as of now :)

Now i just need to find a light for the main..
Led? What kind? And the hot5 wont do then...

I would use a clip on light and put in an LED bulb. This is a cheap and easy solution that should cost around 20-$25 after everything is said and done. Will cost you around 5-$8 to run year long.

Macro Algae will grow under any color temperature. Although 6500k temp is a good temp. However these higher temp bulbs are a bit more expensive than the more warm/ white color temps commonly found in all hardware stores.

Sure, some macros will grow just fine under most lights. However to get the best growth you need a wider spectrum of light than nearly all reef lights supply.

Also, where are you shopping for lights? I found my 6500k cfl bulb for $3 at a local big box store. All in all my refugium light was approx $11 and costs very little to run.

So i better not buy those lights then if i want a mixed aquarium? Im a bit confused..

If you want to grow SPS corals then that light is insufficient. However it will suffice for nearly all soft corals and a fair number of LPS as well.

Sure, some macros will grow just fine under most lights. However to get the best growth you need a wider spectrum of light than nearly all reef lights supply.

Also, where are you shopping for lights? I found my 6500k cfl bulb for $3 at a local big box store. All in all my refugium light was approx $11 and costs very little to run.

I've checked all the major hardware stores...Ace, Lowes, HD. Went to a few lighting specialty shops and couldn't find a 6.5k bulb for cheap. Wow, $3. Where'd you find yours?

I definitely agree for best growth 6.5k color temp is best or near best. But a regular white bulb does very well as well.

I've checked all the major hardware stores...Ace, Lowes, HD. Went to a few lighting specialty shops and couldn't find a 6.5k bulb for cheap. Wow, $3. Where'd you find yours?

I definitely agree for best growth 6.5k color temp is best or near best. But a regular white bulb does very well as well.

Meijers

Back
Top Bottom