Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-24-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
lion's and questions

I have a 75gallon tank that has cycled it is filtering with a fluval 404 and a maxi jet 400 sending currnet across the bottom. I'm going to add a protien skimmer in the next couple of weeks. I've also got 45lbs of tufa being seeded by a couple of pounds of live rock.

I read an article here say I could keep to volitan lionfish in this tank comfortably.

now for the questions.

1.can I house the two lions?
2.can I keep anything else with them in this system?
3.how should I set up the rock to make them the happiest?
4.I'd like to add a sump would this help and does anyone have a simple sump design?
5.how noisy are sumps this tank is in my libary?

Symon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
1. No
2. You can as long as it can't fit in the lions mouth.
3. Some tend to like hiding spots.

Volitans get very big, and like to eat live food. They are also very sensitive to ammonia. You might want to think about a dwarf instead.

29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you go with the volitans, I would only add one. They require 50 to themselves for one adult fish. Lions grow pretty quickly also.
You might be able to keep one other fish in with the volitans. As long as it's going to stay large enough not to be a snack. Maybe one of the larger angels or a foxface (also venomous).
Landscaping should have caves and resting spots. Lions like to hang upside down under the rockwork.
A sump would help, can't help you with a design but if you do a search for DIY sumps, I'm sure you'll get lots of info.
Just as a side note, (and some may disagree) with a 30-50 gal sump, you might get away with keeping two volitans in the tank.
Good luck.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to turboTSI Send a message via Yahoo to turboTSI
do with a volitan and a snowflake eel... this si the setup I have and they respect eachother and have no probs

turboTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
We had a volitan, porcupine puffer, and a humu trigger in the same 90g and they got along great.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes, if you want a lion, you are opting for an aggressive tank. Take a look at our chart for some ideas.
As for the sump, what is your basic setup?

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com