Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2004, 04:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ocindustries Send a message via Yahoo to ocindustries
Little help for a new reef - actually big help!!

I am setting up a reef tank.
What I HAVE :
I have a 40 gal jebo, built in filter with 450l/h going right now.
I have 2 55 watt Helios PL lamp 1 of them 12000k/7100k blue/white and the other 12000k Marine double blue (I dont know if i really like this lighting, is this good enough?? the neon i think can show better as well)
SeaClone 100 (not hooked up, dont even know if good enough)
There is also about 50 pounds of live rock in there a few soft corals and 40 pounds of live sand.

WHAT I WANT:
nice soft/hard corals, some sea fans, few fish, some more live rock, basically a nice reef tank that shows the wonderful neon

WHAT SHOULD I GET? WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE?
Lighting? Powerheads?

Im thinkin about putting a 10 gal tank underneath and running some additional power heads to that and putting the skimmer in there.

Temp is at about 78-79.5

Please please please... Start me over if necessary. What do I need, what should i get for a sucessful reef tank.
Please let me know what type of: temp, lighting, power heads, skimming, filter system, chemicals, heaters, anything anything anything.. please help!

If you have a nice reef, please by all means let me know what you have.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Increase your temp a few degrees to 80-82F.

I dont really understand your lightign when you describe it. Are these power compact bulbs? If so you will need more than 110W of light for hard corals. Specificly what kind of hard corals are you seeking?

What are the dimentions on your 40gal tank?

While the seaclone is not the best skimmer it wont hurt your tank to have it. If your consierting a sump setup then dont use powerheads to get the water into the sump from the tank. Instead get a hang on overflow. This will take water from the tank and put it into the sump. Then size an apprporate size pump to pump the water back up to your tank. Figure the head height and also figure how much flow you want thru the overflow/sump setup. This will help you size the correct pump.

What kind of internal filter does this tank have?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ocindustries Send a message via Yahoo to ocindustries
thanks still need help

YEs I guess i have compact lighting. Theres 4 little pins at the end and like 2 bulbs connected as one.

Okay I will raise the temp a bit, (get a heater I am guessing?)

My tank is about
30inches wide
20 inches tall
14.5 inches wide

and 50 inches total height including stand.

Its hard to put anything on the back since there is the built in filter.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com