Little Tiny Tiny white spot????????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utradeshow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys, I have a New Saltwater tank, fresh out of cycle, and I have 2 clowns one has a TINY white spec on him. I can't really tell if it's anything??? Ya think I'm being a little paranoid??? Should I give him a Freshwater dip?? Is it a Parasite???

Did you QT him? If not then what most on here would do is just watch him. If he has ick, you will probably know soon enough. Also you might try mixing garlic extract with the fish food you feed to them. If its ick, the white spot will appear to be just under the skin...otherwise I was like you (being that its not ick) and my clowns kept getting white spots on them over and over. Come to find out it was just setiment from the tank that was attaching to them overnight and during the night they stay towards the bottom. Once they would get to swimming around the spots would "fall off of them"..its been over a year and all of my fish are ick free..

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on him, and No being stupid I got so impatient wating for my rock to cycle, When everything Hit "0" I couldn't get to the LFS fast enough!! I sure hope that wasn't a mistake.... I also have a Yellow Tang and a Goby, nothing on them.... We'll see??? I now have a QT though, for any new fish I put into the system. I would seperate him now, but Saturday we are probably going to have to evacuate for this Stupid Hurricane, I't coming right in my front Door!!!! :evil: :evil:

Utradeshow said:
I would seperate him now, but Saturday we are probably going to have to evacuate for this Stupid Hurricane, I't coming right in my front Door!!!!
Sorry to hear about the hurricane woe's, that one getting nasty.!

On a side note though, seperating just the clowns at this juncture would be pointless. Once in the display with the other fish, the parasite (if there) would now be in the tank and infecting any and all fish available. If the clowns do come down with some type of parasite, all your fish will need to be QT'd and treated, not just the clowns. Right now it's "wait and see" but I would be prepared for it.

Cheers
Steve

they are hard to accimilate, especially in a new tank.

and they are not as resilent as other clowns. the fact that they already have white spots does not bode well either.

Piggy
As I stated before, just the presence of a "white spot" doesnt mean they are doomed. Why would you say that? White spot could just be sediment from the substrate. It could be anything really...
I would hope that you would be a bit more optomistic in your approach...just my opinion. My clowns had whites spots come and go for over 3 months and come to find out it was nothing. The tank has been up for almost 2 years and no signs of ick. plus during the whole 3 months I was thinking it was ick as I had never seen ick before, and then when I saw ick on my regal in QT a few months ago, now I know what to look for. What my clowns had was not ick...

I have never seen Ick either, He is eating like a Pig and swimming fine, he's not scratching... I'll just have to keep an eye on him.. 8O

i lost half a tank of fish because i didn't think it was ich, thus i didn't QT that one fish. i just observed. the thing with observation on this matter is that: what are you observing? when the symptons are visible it's usually too late.

QT all your new additions.

my situation was almost identical as yours: new tanks, clownfish, etc. the maturer your tank becomes, the less likely it'll happen.

you cannot be too careful.

don't get carried away by the garlic remedy either. i tried it and it didn't work. it made the fish eat more but at the same time polluted the water. a new tank already has unstable water conditions to begin with, do you want to make more changes to it?

bottomline is, take all our advices with a grain of salt. every single tank is different. there's no one solutions to all.

piggybank2005 said:
there's no one solutions to all.
Sure there is, QT all new fish no matter what their condition is. If done properly there is no reason for it to be a concern for the display tank in the future. Not properly quarantining all new fish is just asking for problems that can easily be avoided.

they are hard to accimilate, especially in a new tank.
and they are not as resilent as other clowns. the fact that they already have white spots does not bode well either.
Could disagree with you more. True not many fish fair well in a newly established tank but that said, Ocellaris are one of the hardiest and easiest to acclimate of all the clown species available. As fishman very correctly pointed out, spots on a fish is not always going to be an issue. Sometimes something that may look parasitic it's not always the case. Since the fish is already in the display tank any possible damage has already been done and moving the fish on suspicion, could just cause more harm than good. If it is established that there is a parasite, then all the fish would need treating in a QT.

don't get carried away by the garlic remedy either. i tried it and it didn't work. it made the fish eat more but at the same time polluted the water. a new tank already has unstable water conditions to begin with
This part I agree with you on. Garlic is definately not a cure but if used properly can definately be an aid to an already proven remedy. It should definately not be overused either as it will hamper water quality and be a source of nitrate.

Cheers
Steve

i'll just address the original poster, ultra.

i had two ocellaris clowns when my tank was cycled+1 month old. one quickly developed white spots, not very serious but here and there. i paid no mind to it because it ate well, swam well, didn't scratch against rocks. others told me that it could be ich and i needed to take care of it before it spread. i figured hey it was acting healthy and people said ocellaris were hardy so i did nothing.

after two weeks, the clown started to swim near the bottom of the tank and a string of waste could be seen being dragged by the fish. at that time i had learnt a great deal about ich so i started looking for a cure. kick-ich was the first thing most people recommended but i opted for the garlic treatment because i had inverts in my tank.

i did this garlic treatment for three weeks with no apparent improvement. i know a lot of people swear by this remedy but as far as i could see, no one really proved that if it wasn't the combination of the dormany period and lack of a host for the ich. while i was using the garlic treatment (and ginger too) the clown got marine velvet. it was just a bad-lucked fish.

so now i had to use kick-ich, but it was already too late. It died after one complete treatment (14 days) and the process killed many snails. apparently kick-ich wasn't as invert-safe as it claimed.

however that wasn't the end of my nightmare. soon after, my fridmani pseudochromis and three of my green chromis got ich and they all died within the next month.

later on i joined a fish club and made friends with a lfs. the lfs and members of the fish club had similar experience with occellaris clowns. they all had difficulties keeping occalleris clowns. we were all puzzled by the concensus of them being a hardy fish. we could only come up with this explaination: while both tank raised and wild caught ocellaris clowns might be hardy, the wild caught ones endure more during transportation. and it's likely that they already have parasites in their body, the ocean is so big comparing to a tank so it's not a big threat. but when confined in a home aquarium, there's only so much space, the chance of parasites finding a host is greater.

i am not big on quoting what people say about their own experience and disputing it because it differs from my own experience. my fish keeping experience has been far from normal; i mean, i have a tang that likes to eat meat more than veggies so what the hell, i could come on here and tell you that tangs are carnivore and i wouldn't be wrong.

so what am i saying here? take everything you read with a grain of salt, that includes mine. as i mentioned before, everyone's experience will be different. maybe you'll add some garlic juic, the white spots go away and you'll become a subscriber of the theory. maybe you'll do nothing and it goes away too and you become a believer of nature healing. maybe it's really just sand. i kind of doubt you are that dense but who knows! but hopefully i am wrong and your fish lives.

Easy solution to all of this. But tank raised (for many reasons) and qt everything.
Trust me, I have been through parasitic outbreaks, no fun.
I have 4 tank raised percs, they are tough, tough , tough.
The have all lived through a velvet oubreak and treatment because of my own similar ignorance.
One of them survived 2 months in an overflow with no i'll effects whatsoever.
Some live sand later brought in a case of ich. They lived through the second treatment, not problem.
Very tough fish IMO.

Piggy some of the things you are saying aren't good. Your experiences are your experiences. Ocellaris clowns are not hard to acclimate at all. They are one of the hardiest marine fishes. Many aquarists start with ocellaris clowns. White spots on fish don't mean anything without other symptoms. What color is most marine substrate? Small white granules. I had white spots on my fish and that is all it was- aragonite sand. Watch your specimens carefully. It is there behaviuor and eating habits that will tell you if disease is present. Physical symptoms are just a part of diagnosing a disease. I agree to have a qt period and a hospital tank is also a good thing.

I have to say that tangs are very, very ich prone. Your tang would probably show it first if it was ich. Keep an eye on them, and if it worsens start the qt asap. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom