Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 PM   #11
Originally Posted by piggybank2005
there's no one solutions to all.
Sure there is, QT all new fish no matter what their condition is. If done properly there is no reason for it to be a concern for the display tank in the future. Not properly quarantining all new fish is just asking for problems that can easily be avoided.

they are hard to accimilate, especially in a new tank.
and they are not as resilent as other clowns. the fact that they already have white spots does not bode well either.
Could disagree with you more. True not many fish fair well in a newly established tank but that said, Ocellaris are one of the hardiest and easiest to acclimate of all the clown species available. As fishman very correctly pointed out, spots on a fish is not always going to be an issue. Sometimes something that may look parasitic it's not always the case. Since the fish is already in the display tank any possible damage has already been done and moving the fish on suspicion, could just cause more harm than good. If it is established that there is a parasite, then all the fish would need treating in a QT.

don't get carried away by the garlic remedy either. i tried it and it didn't work. it made the fish eat more but at the same time polluted the water. a new tank already has unstable water conditions to begin with
This part I agree with you on. Garlic is definately not a cure but if used properly can definately be an aid to an already proven remedy. It should definately not be overused either as it will hamper water quality and be a source of nitrate.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
i'll just address the original poster, ultra.

i had two ocellaris clowns when my tank was cycled+1 month old. one quickly developed white spots, not very serious but here and there. i paid no mind to it because it ate well, swam well, didn't scratch against rocks. others told me that it could be ich and i needed to take care of it before it spread. i figured hey it was acting healthy and people said ocellaris were hardy so i did nothing.

after two weeks, the clown started to swim near the bottom of the tank and a string of waste could be seen being dragged by the fish. at that time i had learnt a great deal about ich so i started looking for a cure. kick-ich was the first thing most people recommended but i opted for the garlic treatment because i had inverts in my tank.

i did this garlic treatment for three weeks with no apparent improvement. i know a lot of people swear by this remedy but as far as i could see, no one really proved that if it wasn't the combination of the dormany period and lack of a host for the ich. while i was using the garlic treatment (and ginger too) the clown got marine velvet. it was just a bad-lucked fish.

so now i had to use kick-ich, but it was already too late. It died after one complete treatment (14 days) and the process killed many snails. apparently kick-ich wasn't as invert-safe as it claimed.

however that wasn't the end of my nightmare. soon after, my fridmani pseudochromis and three of my green chromis got ich and they all died within the next month.

later on i joined a fish club and made friends with a lfs. the lfs and members of the fish club had similar experience with occellaris clowns. they all had difficulties keeping occalleris clowns. we were all puzzled by the concensus of them being a hardy fish. we could only come up with this explaination: while both tank raised and wild caught ocellaris clowns might be hardy, the wild caught ones endure more during transportation. and it's likely that they already have parasites in their body, the ocean is so big comparing to a tank so it's not a big threat. but when confined in a home aquarium, there's only so much space, the chance of parasites finding a host is greater.

i am not big on quoting what people say about their own experience and disputing it because it differs from my own experience. my fish keeping experience has been far from normal; i mean, i have a tang that likes to eat meat more than veggies so what the hell, i could come on here and tell you that tangs are carnivore and i wouldn't be wrong.

so what am i saying here? take everything you read with a grain of salt, that includes mine. as i mentioned before, everyone's experience will be different. maybe you'll add some garlic juic, the white spots go away and you'll become a subscriber of the theory. maybe you'll do nothing and it goes away too and you become a believer of nature healing. maybe it's really just sand. i kind of doubt you are that dense but who knows! but hopefully i am wrong and your fish lives.

piggybank2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Easy solution to all of this. But tank raised (for many reasons) and qt everything.
Trust me, I have been through parasitic outbreaks, no fun.
I have 4 tank raised percs, they are tough, tough , tough.
The have all lived through a velvet oubreak and treatment because of my own similar ignorance.
One of them survived 2 months in an overflow with no i'll effects whatsoever.
Some live sand later brought in a case of ich. They lived through the second treatment, not problem.
Very tough fish IMO.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Piggy some of the things you are saying aren't good. Your experiences are your experiences. Ocellaris clowns are not hard to acclimate at all. They are one of the hardiest marine fishes. Many aquarists start with ocellaris clowns. White spots on fish don't mean anything without other symptoms. What color is most marine substrate? Small white granules. I had white spots on my fish and that is all it was- aragonite sand. Watch your specimens carefully. It is there behaviuor and eating habits that will tell you if disease is present. Physical symptoms are just a part of diagnosing a disease. I agree to have a qt period and a hospital tank is also a good thing.
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to say that tangs are very, very ich prone. Your tang would probably show it first if it was ich. Keep an eye on them, and if it worsens start the qt asap.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote

spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com