Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Little Tiny Tiny white spot????????????????

Hi Guys, I have a New Saltwater tank, fresh out of cycle, and I have 2 clowns one has a TINY white spec on him. I can't really tell if it's anything??? Ya think I'm being a little paranoid??? Should I give him a Freshwater dip?? Is it a Parasite???

Old 09-23-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Did you QT him? If not then what most on here would do is just watch him. If he has ick, you will probably know soon enough. Also you might try mixing garlic extract with the fish food you feed to them. If its ick, the white spot will appear to be just under the skin...otherwise I was like you (being that its not ick) and my clowns kept getting white spots on them over and over. Come to find out it was just setiment from the tank that was attaching to them overnight and during the night they stay towards the bottom. Once they would get to swimming around the spots would "fall off of them"..its been over a year and all of my fish are ick free..

Old 09-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on him, and No being stupid I got so impatient wating for my rock to cycle, When everything Hit "0" I couldn't get to the LFS fast enough!! I sure hope that wasn't a mistake.... I also have a Yellow Tang and a Goby, nothing on them.... We'll see??? I now have a QT though, for any new fish I put into the system. I would seperate him now, but Saturday we are probably going to have to evacuate for this Stupid Hurricane, I't coming right in my front Door!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

if it's ocellaris then i think they are doomed.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggybank2005
if it's ocellaris then i think they are doomed.
Why

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utradeshow
I would seperate him now, but Saturday we are probably going to have to evacuate for this Stupid Hurricane, I't coming right in my front Door!!!!
Sorry to hear about the hurricane woe's, that one getting nasty.!

On a side note though, seperating just the clowns at this juncture would be pointless. Once in the display with the other fish, the parasite (if there) would now be in the tank and infecting any and all fish available. If the clowns do come down with some type of parasite, all your fish will need to be QT'd and treated, not just the clowns. Right now it's "wait and see" but I would be prepared for it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

they are hard to accimilate, especially in a new tank.

and they are not as resilent as other clowns. the fact that they already have white spots does not bode well either.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Piggy
As I stated before, just the presence of a "white spot" doesnt mean they are doomed. Why would you say that? White spot could just be sediment from the substrate. It could be anything really...
I would hope that you would be a bit more optomistic in your approach...just my opinion. My clowns had whites spots come and go for over 3 months and come to find out it was nothing. The tank has been up for almost 2 years and no signs of ick. plus during the whole 3 months I was thinking it was ick as I had never seen ick before, and then when I saw ick on my regal in QT a few months ago, now I know what to look for. What my clowns had was not ick...
Old 09-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have never seen Ick either, He is eating like a Pig and swimming fine, he's not scratching... I'll just have to keep an eye on him.. 8O
Old 09-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i lost half a tank of fish because i didn't think it was ich, thus i didn't QT that one fish. i just observed. the thing with observation on this matter is that: what are you observing? when the symptons are visible it's usually too late.

QT all your new additions.

my situation was almost identical as yours: new tanks, clownfish, etc. the maturer your tank becomes, the less likely it'll happen.

you cannot be too careful.

don't get carried away by the garlic remedy either. i tried it and it didn't work. it made the fish eat more but at the same time polluted the water. a new tank already has unstable water conditions to begin with, do you want to make more changes to it?

bottomline is, take all our advices with a grain of salt. every single tank is different. there's no one solutions to all.

Tags
spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com