Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes sense. I just haven't been impressed by the way the LR at any of my lfs has looked. I have heard good things about another store that is a little further away, so I'll have to go check that one out this week.

Does it matter if the LR isn't colorful? Should I really only be interested in how porous it is? I want to make sure I get really good stuff to seed the base rock. What should I be looking for in LR?

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely, the colors will come over time. Unless it's covered in cyano it should be fine. IMO the rock color doesn't matter because ideally it should be covered in cora eventually.

I think also that it shouldn't stink

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome, thanks! I feel a lot better about adding base rock and seeding it with LR now. I'll get the base in to cure as soon as it gets here, and when its cycle is finished I'll add the LR from my LFS and make sure it is all cycled before I add it to my tank. I'm excited about this!
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am making a list of what I still need to start up and I only have like 6 things! I am on my way to get the plumbing done today and also the pump so I can be done with my sump once and for all. The rest of the things will cost me about 200$ all together. I should be ready in a few months
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is base rock usually around 1$ a lb?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a legit price, around here at my LFS it's $2/lb but everything they have is a bit overpriced. Where are you looking? Because I know online they usually sell rock for less, from places like reefcleaners and marcos rocks that is
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to a fish store called wet pets, its a well known store ( its been in books) and they are overpriced but I know I can trust Them with all of their things. I will check online. Also, will I need to add an ammonia source if I add the base rock during cycling?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are they base rocks you're thinking of sold submerged in saltwater? Because when I think of base rock I think of dead rock.

In my case yes, you will have to add an ammonia source.

In yours, probably not, the die-off from transportation will give you an ammonia source
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found what I think is a good deal on ocreef.com on what they say is "dried live rock". It says it is true Fiji live rock, it's just dried. I got 15 lbs for $25.99 + $9.99 shipping. That's about as good a deal as I had seen since I didn't have to buy a ton of it (my tank is only 16 gallons) and the shipping wasn't ridiculously expensive like most online stuff is. I'll let you know if it's any good. It will be here in a day or two, and I'll get it curing as soon as it gets here.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

K thAnks and yes I am thinking of submerged, will the dry take longer to cycle?

Tags
base, base rock, live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com