Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am actually considering this my "base rock" and then I'll seed it with LR from my LFS as soon as it cycles. I would guess that it will take longer for this to cycle than normal base rock, though, because if it really was Fiji lr it will for sure have die off dried to/in it. It can just be tough to find an online place that sells smaller quantities of rock for a nano at decent prices. This is on clearance for $25.99, down from over $100, so I jumped on it. I had planned on waiting a few months to do LR, but I didn't want to pass this deal up.

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's so great about fiji, is it the shape, or I think I heard of some area not selling it anymore, is this it?

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know that there is anything particularly great about Fiji rock. My point was only that it was advertised as LR that had been dried, rather than base rock. I'm really wondering if that will be any advantage or not. I think the differences in where LR comes from can be the colors and how porous the rock is, and what is growing on the rock.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm gonna call my lfs to see what they have thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I called and it is 5$ a lb at one store and 3$ at one a lot farther away. I am getting a ten gallon on Friday for free hopefully. Should I just do a nano in this until I can make some more money? I would have an occelaris ( not spelled right?), a goby, and soft corals. Of course the cuc too. I think it may be cheaper and I would be able to probably do it.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lfs has LR they keep curing in a big tank. I'm going to check it out to make sure it's good, but I'm sure it will be, everything else I've gotten there has been excellent. It's $6 a lb., which is a bit steep, but since I only have a 16g tank, and have 15 lbs. of base coming, I'll only need a few lbs. of it.

I have an Ocellaris clownfish (only 1/2"-3/4" long) and a diamond watchman goby in my tank, too. They are both great. I also have an azure damsel.

I'm going to wait until my LR is in and everything is stable to start adding corals, but I plan on doing several different zoas, along with a hammer coral and frogspawn. I was told by a couple different people on here that clowns will host frogspawn and hammer corals like an anemone, so I won't bother trying to make an anemone play nice with the corals in such a small tank.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may be easier to buy a used setup off craigslist...

Tags
base, base rock, live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com