Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live and base rock

I was wondering what a good ratio is for live and base rock. Also can I add them at the same time? Does the base rock have to be cycled?

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

75% Base and 25% live is a good ratio. If you're referring to dry base rock it won't be cycled and you'll have to, that's what the LR is for.

And yes, you can add them at the same time

Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's such thing as cured base rock?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

In a sense. Cured base rock essentially means it won't cause a cycle, because it already has the beneficial bacteria living in/on it. The bacteria that disposes of ammonia, which is produce by your tank inhabitants.

See, no matter what you get, base rock or uncured live rock, once you cycle your tank with whichever rock in it, once the cycle is completed, that rock will be CONSIDERED "live". What defines rock as "live" is the fact that it has beneficial bacteria growing on it. Not whether it has tons of little saltwater critters running all around it and through it. The life that comes on the rock from the ocean is something you get with cured live rock, or uncured live rock assuming something survives the cycle.

See, what i like to do, like mentioned by Corey above, is get mostly base rock, cycle the tank with that base rock, and then seed that base rock with some CURED live rock. This way, none of the critters on the cured live rock will die off because there's no cycle, and no ammonia to kill them.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

So your saying that I should buy my base rock first, cycle the tank with it, and once cycled I put my good Lr in? Thanks for all the info btw
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Yeah, that's how I do it, and how most people do it. They do that because like i said before, if you just throw your cured live rock in an un-cycled tank, you will get lots of die-off, since there's no bacteria to dispose of the ammonia being produced by the life in the live rock. That ammonia will cause a cycle, and the ammonia and nitrites will most likely kill almost everything living in the rock, save for the truly hardy specimens that will live through the cycle.

If you decide to put cured live rock in your cycled tank, most everything living on that live rock will keep on living. Meaning you get to see more critters pop up all over the place, which would have normally died off from the cycle if you just plopped your live rock in an uncycled tank.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, the lr here costs 6$ a lb so that saved me like 100ish$. That is why I love this app, I might have wasted about 300$ if I didn't read and post stuff on here. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where would you recommend getting cured LR? I have base rock coming this week, and I will want to seed it with cured LR once it finishes cycling. And would you add both the cycled base rock and the cured LR to the main tank at the same time? I'm adding LR to my currently FO 16 gal tank.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think pet stores because then you get the least die off and you can see what your buying
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Thanx but no.....

If you buy locally you'll have better luck at a dedicated lfs. I'd travel a few extra miles to a lfs over a pet store. Call first and ask about price, type, sizes, etc.

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, base rock, live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com