Live/Base Rock Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering something... would it be OK to get like 70 pounds of Base Rock and whaever space is left over, get some high quality LR? Will the BR turn live over time? Maybe I will get all BR? Will that turn live over time? How long will it take? Lastly, is live sane worth the money or should I just get the Home Depot sand in the sticky above? Thanks!

Most people choose to get only 20-40lbs of high quality LR and get the rest of the rock they need in base rock form. This way, the LR will seed the base rock and it will become significantly live over the course of 6-12 months. I did it this way because it saves on the pocketbook. You don't want to do just base rock because you need something to seed the rock from. Also, live sand is not worth it. The LR you get will seed the base rock and your sand over time.

If you're going to get sand from HD, make sure it's aragonite based and not silica based. More info on this subject can be found in search.

Just go out and buy your own sand. If you were planning on buying the stuff in the bag than it's almost worthless. If you can get it straight out of a lfs's tank than that's a different story as long as it isn't ridiculously priced.

And yes the base rock will turn live over time. Are you buying from somehwere that has it already cultured or is it that dry stuff thats offered in catalogs?
Buying a lot of base rock and just layering it with the more expensive stuff is a very smart decision. You'll save alot of money doing that.

Can I get just like 5 pounds of really, really nice LR and the rest BR? I am in no hurry for it to all become live.

Mixing base rock and LR is certainly an economic alternative when starting a tank. Obviously, the more LR you start with the better and the faster it will seed your base rock. If you are patient starting with 5lbs of LR is fine, but I recommend more. Go for a 50/50 ratio if you can. If not, don't sweat it, things will just take longer. As for the "live sand" in a bag, save your money and get more LR :wink: . You are really paying like $40 for wet dead sand. Not worth the money. Get a good quality dry sand and go from there. It would be helpful to ask the LFS for a few cups of their LS from a well established tank to help seed your sand bed.

you could...but of course it'll take much longer to seed the base rock. The other thing you need to think about is that the more live rock you get, the more diverse the beneficial hitchhiking organisms. Many people find that a mix of gulf and keys/fiji rock is a nice mix that brings a larger repertoir of organisms that will help with natural filtration. I would suggest getting a minmum of 10 lbs of gulf and keys/fiji rock so you get the coraline and other creartures too.

Also, many places online won't let you order just 5lbs. They'll likely require a larger purchase of 20lbs or more. I can't speak for all vendors, but i know that the 'good' ones do this. IME, it really depends on where you live. If you live in a coastal area that has lfs with LR teaming with life, get it from them. But where i live, the live rock is just a smidge above dead. So i got my stuff online where they require a minimum order of 20lbs or more. HTH

binaryterror said:
Ok, I think I will go with 50-60 pounds of BR and 30-40 pounds of LR. Is that too much LR for a 55 gallon?

1-2 lbs of LR per gallon is recommened. So 100lbs of rock would be good in your 55g.

I like liveaquaria.net's special right now.

Last time I checked it was 120 dollars for 45 pounds, thats shipping included.

5 pounds of live rock isn't going to be very big. Some fiji live rock can be 5 pounds when it's the size of your fist.

Back
Top Bottom