live brain shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys!Thanks for all help before.I have one question.Sometimes i buy cup of live brain shrimps at my local LFS.The question is<is there a chance to transfer parasites with the water the live shrimps in>I think probably yes.Right.But even if they keep them in fridge?Parasites should be dead in that cold.Please help me to make sure.Is there something i should do to minimalize the risk?Thank You very much!!!!

Anything that come from somebody elses tank and your taking a chance. I am not sure that keeping it in the fridge would kill the Parasites. Freezing them would. Then your shrimp would not be live.

I think you are talking brine shrimps, right? I think the fridge would them them all, due to the quick change in the water temp. I agree with fiji, anything that is no properly QT'ed and acclimated will be a risk to your main tank.

I never hatched brine or tested any water they are in, but I do believe they are raise in a very low SG. Depending on how low the SG is, it may be too low for ich to live in. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cold and even freezing doesn't normally kill bacteria, it makes them go dormant. Eventually they'll wake up again. The shrimp on the other hand...not so much.

They're a bit bigger, but you can buy frozen Mysis shrimp. I don't know what you're feeding, but if they'll take the Mysis, it's handy to have the bubble packs you can just throw in the freezer and pull out as needed.

Yes, I believe so. I was just wondering about your comment about the lower salinity (at the LFS) and then adding them to your tank....I'm just asking because I have no experience with live brine.

OK...got ya. I only use live brine to get new fish eating when in qt. They worked wonders for getting my dispar anthias eating. No acclimation because the shrimp are eaten in like 2 seconds after they hit the water.

LOL! Well that makes sense, thanks for the info!

Thanks guys.It is me artur.I was asking about thouse live brine shrimps becouse i bought yellow tank.I have him in QT for 2 weeks now.First he was eating then he stoped 4 days ego.I tried pellets,flakes,frozen food,salad.nothing works,so i thougt about live brine shrimps.He looks fine.Bright yellow color,no parasites,just getting skinier and skinier.What should i do?Do not want him to die!!!!!!

My tang, in fact ALL my fish, including the clowns and anthias, love "Sally's Green Marine Algae". I cut about a 2" square and put 2 drops of Kent Garlic Extreme and a few drops of Kent Zoe on it. The fish go wild as soon as I put the clip in the water.

Back
Top Bottom