Live coral VS. Artificial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are pros and cons of each, usual prices, what each needs, care guides, and any thing else I'd need to know.

Also, I'm planning on putting it in a 30 gallon, so please concider this when giving advise!

Main Pros of articial is they need no care, main con is they don't look very good in my opinion

Pro: no special needs. Not limited to reef safe only fish.

Cons: look like crap as said before. Like putting artificial plants in a freshwater tank.

Artificial corals are easier care and less expensive. If you are like me, most of the people around you don't know about reefs and they would like both artificial and real coral. Just don't put both in the same tank or else people can see how fake the artificial stuff really is.

I think the main factor is the added time commitment for owning a beautiful live reef. Real corals will need Mg, Ca, pH, kH monitored weekly, cleaner water, good lighting, fish compatibility, and perhaps a few other things that I cannot think of at this time. Also many reefers experience some type of algae problem.

If your looking for a hobby go with real, there will be loses and not, then again you will love watching you coral grow, eat and give you a nice show!
There are lots of corals for beginners that are easier to take care of, start with those?

Live vs fake? Wow what a question if you are thinking of going fake than just go with live rock with fish only. Fake coral look so bad that you should just leave it out. I say nasty nasty nasty.

Fake coral doesn't die, requires no light, fish can't eat it, but it needs to be cleaned and looks fake IMO.

Real coral is fascinating, changes daily and makes the total environment. But it's expensive, can be very newbie unfriendly and can die.

The fake can look just fine in a tank, plus it's way simpler than real corals.

The downsides have been stated already, the biggest imho is that you will need to clean algae off of the inserts quite often.

Yours looks nice, it isn't all the fluorescent UN-natural colors I have seen before. Keeping algae off it will be your biggest headache.

Back
Top Bottom