Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long will live rock be okay without light and maintain its cured state?

My parents want to buy me a biocube for christmas and im wonder if they buy the pre cured live rock and keep it in a bag full of water...

will it need to be recured?

thanks

-Brad

and keep it in a bag full of water...
I would hate to open that bag after 3 weeks :eek:

You can buy a brute trash can, fill it with saltwater, put in a powerhead and heater and the live rock will be fine.

I would hate to open that bag after 3 weeks :eek:

You can buy a brute trash can, fill it with saltwater, put in a powerhead and heater and the live rock will be fine.

would all that be nessisary for 48-72hrs... not that im cheap... just if that would work itd be easier.. and i am "lazy"

-Brad

I would say if left in a bag of water for 48-72 hrs there would be alot of die off and you would need to recure it. It probably wouldn't be a full blown cycle, but I would expect to see some ammonia.

well isnt that a kick in the giggle berrys.... off to zellers i go i guess.

oo yeah ... lid on or off on the can?
and how long can the rock be kept like this?

thanks
-Brad

Lid off. Let it breathe. It can be left like that for a few months if you change some water every few weeks. Just keep in mind any coralline algae or coral hitchhikers on the rock will bleach out with no light, but the rock won't die off.

Back
Top Bottom