Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm still cycling my tank. As I've read more, the more questions and concerns I have regarding my set-up process. I purchased 45lbs of LR and 15lbs of base from my LFS. It was the cheepest they had, but it was in a a large bin with a powerhead for flow and a heater. From what I saw, there was no growth on it, but for $4.99lb. compared to $9.99lb that was totally purple with coraline(?) algea and covered in mushrooms, I went with the plain jane brown LR. I was told it would be fine out of the water, and all of the LR was placed in a cardboard box without saltwater, rags, ect. to keep it moist.

From the time I pulled it from the LFS bin, to the time I placed it in my tank, was probably around 10 hours. It sat in my house where it was warm during that time though. Then it was another 24hrs before a heat source was added. I've seen one small worm crawling around, and a grey/white fuzz is slowling appearing on one of the rocks.

The more I've read and thought about it, the more I feel like I have a tank full of dead rock. Someone please lay my fears to rest. :(

hye there...actually 'Live Rock' not live...its call as Live Rock because the bacteria will populate on it then it will 'live'...no worry about that...i think after 10hours gap it call as uncured rock maybe...u just need to cured it...since u said u in a cycling process, let it be in your tank and it will 'live' back...no worries...
dont add any live stock in there yet....let your water cycle and maybe u already knew, test for ammonia and nitrites...
for the worm, maybe if u can provide pics, it will help a lot..

Well having it out of the water that long couldn't have helped but I figure if there's still critters crawling around on it there's probably plenty of live bacteria left. Same thing with the heat source; as long as your house isn't freezing I would think that at least some bacteria survived. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SAAVE853 said:
Just let your tank cycle you should be alright! Live rock is just a place for bacteria to grow

There's one more catch here. I do not know the sg/salinity of the tank yet. I wasnt going to buy a refractometer until my cycle finished. Does that value need to be correct for 1: my live rock to survive, and 2: for my tank to cycle properly?

i think u should get either hydrometer/refractometer...
at least u should know your SG...for cycling process, i think u can..but when u want to add some live stock, u need to know your SG....

1-no worries....your Live rock not going to die...its just the place for bacteria to grow...

2-to know when your tank start the cycle, just do some water test..as u said u are cycling your tank, then i assume u already know..u just need test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates....do the test and u should see some reading for either 3....

Back
Top Bottom