Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
So is there a point where u have enough live rock that there would be no or a very small cycle. Thanks all n thanks for all the info iv asked while I take the plunge to the salty side!

It all depends on the live rock and the time it is outta the tank. I got most of my rock for my first tank from a guy selling rock from his established tank. It was wrapped in wet newspaper for hour ride home and I had a cycle in a week. But I also dosed ammonia as well as the LR. So between the live rock die off producing ammonia and the actual ammonia it was pretty fast. If youre just going locally to get your rock you will probably see some die off from the rock and therefore a cycle.

Don't you wanna cycle your tank or are you just asking cause youre impatient? LOL

Ya if you go to your lfs ask if their rock is aqua cultured.

Lol im just inpatient I mean if I have to wAit and have a long cycle I'll do it I want my tank to be as healthy as possible but if I could shorten it that's better, and I am getting it locally in in Tampa so lots of lfs around me. And aquacultured?

Just keep the rocks submerged in water is your best bet. Not sure how big of a tank youre stocking with rock, so if its not that much rock you can transport in buckets of sw.

Between 15-20 lbs. You can get 15lbs of base rock and 5 or so lbs of LR if youre budget friendly. If you have the cash to buy 20lbs of lR that would be fine too.

The base rock will become live over time as you cycle so you can save quite bit of money.

I would recommend that you either use a shrimp or pure ammonia to help your cycle, makes it nice and easy and quick in my opinion. You can dose ammonia each morning and test to see when it has converted to nitrites then to nitrates. It could take a week or 3 just depends.

If you don't have it already I would strongly urge you to pick up a test kit for your water. API master saltwater kit has all that youll need to cycle and its about $25 give or take.

Oh and one more thing I have some old used to be live rock from my girlfriends moms old aquarium but it was sitting outside for years and it's all dirty and covered in green Algea and wants to know what's the best way to clean it to use t as base rock? I was thinking soak in chlorine then soak in normal dechlorinated water drain and repeat with clean water

Can you scrub it off? I wouldnt soak the rocks in chlorine, it can absorb whatever it's placed in and then leech out in the tank. Maybe a pressure washer if you have one? If you can get it all cleaned up then you can probably use it as base rock.

Back
Top Bottom