Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Live rock

Best place online to buy LR?
Ive already looked on Craigslist no one has any:-(
Have a 120 gallon tank with 100 pounds of base rock. How much LR should I add to the base rock?

If only we could bring the calm of the aquarium into the real world.
Everett Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Everything I've heard and been told says you should have at least 1 lb of live rock, preferably 1.5 lbs, per 1 gallon of water. So, at least another 20 lbs. I know, it gets pricey, but you really don't want to skimp on the live rock. It's super important for filtration.
I bought all my live rock at my Local Pet Store. But shop around. Driving an extra five minutes to a different petco yielded me a gorgeous chunk of LR with several types of algae, micro brittle stars, and even a couple tiny mussels. The tank really exploded into life (as much as a tank of just sand, water, and rock can) when I put that in.
You should also look into any local aquarium hobbyist groups, as they can give you better local information.
Again, get at least 20 lbs, preferably more like 50 lbs of Live Rock to add to the base rock and let the tank cycle completely.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
You need to between 1 and 1.5 lbs per gallon. You might check local forums for live rock also you can order base rock off line and get it shipped to your door then get a few pieces of live rock to help. ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long have you had your tank cycled? Your base rock will become LR soon enough. If it were me, I would just keep checking CL and possibly ebay for just a little more LR. Don't forget to post that you are "looking for LR". People will contact you. I've traded out my LR for someone's base rock so they could get started with a good coralline rock with hitchhikers & filter feeders, and I could get a cool looking rock in exchange. I think I have about 240lbs of LR in my 125. I started off with base rock, then added about 20%LR. You can't even tell the difference between the two now in my DT.
- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com