Live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered a bulk deal off saltwaterfish.com. The amount gave me free shipping. I set it all up, cycled my tank and supplimented it with rocks that I liked from my LFS.

By chance, I got on CL & got 25 lbs live rock.... FREE!!! :)
Free is the best, I don't know if you are going to do a reef but just to be safe do a copper test, if you didn't think to ask if it was in a reef tank or a fish only tank.

It is NICE Fiji Rock!
Can't wait to get it in the tank & get some pics

Well.. I would buy some dead rock as my base and add live rock on top. But you sound like your in a rush (not good). I say this cause you stack and stack live rock... The places that get covered eventually turn white and empty. And it's cheaper the dead rock way. Sorry I don't know if I read over it but do you have a sump? Or just the canister?

Yeah, there is some base too.
And I do plan on adding more.
Not really in a rush, just was in the right place at the right time for free rock. I won't be adding fish for a couple of months.
Got as long as I need to cycle the tank.

I say this cause you stack and stack live rock... The places that get covered eventually turn white and empty.
What do you mean by this? Nothing bad happens to rock that is covered by other rock. Base rock is called base rock because it lacks character. Round, boulder type pieces are used for this purpose and other rock is placed on top of it that is more porous and appealing aesthetically.
live rock that lacks color is still live rock.

Oh well what I was referring to was the price of live rock about 7.99 to 8.99 just to stack it when you can get dead or dried live rock for like 2.99 I think and eventually turn live so it's cheaper.. To use that as your base.

What about adding dry Texas Holey rock?
I found some pretty cheap at a Lfs. It is dry rock.

IMO I think you will do fine with that rock. Just rinse em a bit, with a little hot water if you could. Got my approval haha let's see what others say. Oh and I'm pretty jealous on how lucky your getting with the Live sand rock

According to CaribSea, they say it's safe to use-
CaribSea - Texas Holey Rock UPC: 008479003201 Natural calcium carbonate rock for marine and hardwater freshwater. No better rock for aquariums, full of natural holes and caves, assorted sizes in one box. 40 lb box, about 3-6 pcs per box.

Great! Thanks for the info.
I saw some at a Lfs & thought it would look cool.
I have family in Texas & it's all over their property.
Wonder what I would have to do to it to be able to put it in the aquarium? Too risky?
I could have them bring me some next month ;)

Back
Top Bottom