live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the ratio of live rock to water in a saltwater tank? Or is there one at all?

1lb / gallon works but don't be afraid to add some more. It's not uncommon for people to have 2.5lb / gallon in their tank even though that can be a bit much.

I have over 400 pounds in a 150g and had 180 in a 75g,, so meddbid is correct i think. Plus I dont use a sump and my nitrates are at 10-20ppm thanks to the quantity of LR

I prefer more live rock as well probably have 100 lbs in my 75 with only a few lbs in the sump. I have 70 more lbs curing to add to the tank and sump.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little nervous that a saltwater tank with live rock will result in bankruptcy or divorce now lol.

Just buy as you go, spread the spending out. That's what I do. Keeps the fiancé happier.

Buy mostly dry rock then add some live rock and the dry rock will become live.

I have a Rena filstar xp4 filter. Is that sufficient for a 90 gallon as tank?

I have never heard of that filter. I will look at it and let you know.

The filter is rated up to 265 it is more than enough for a 90 gallon. Being a canister filter make sure you clean it out ever two weeks. Helps not to have a spike in parameters.

Good. It won't be as bad as I thought. In your honest opinion though... should someone like me with no aquarium experience do saltwater or start with fresh
I just don't want to end up losing a bunch of fish over dumb mistakes.

Take it slow don't rush, that's the problem I see when people lose fish they rush. Make sure you cycle the aquarium and read all you can about saltwater care.

Good. It won't be as bad as I thought. In your honest opinion though... should someone like me with no aquarium experience do saltwater or start with fresh
I just don't want to end up losing a bunch of fish over dumb mistakes.

2 different hobbies, I'd go with salt, you don't want to learn one thing and think its the same! Completely different, so learn about the things you want to have

Back
Top Bottom