Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 782
Live rock

I'm planning on buying some more live rock for my aquarium, online. The problem is, I already have fish in my aquarium. So when it arrives do I need to cycle it before I put it in my tank or can I just rinse it off with saltwater and put it in. I do plan on getting overnight shipping to prevent die off. What's your thoughts? And any good websites you prefer?
__________________

__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
To avoid issues, I would set the rock up in another container and cure it...so yes, cycle the rock in another container. Always better safe than sorry.
In terms of websites, I know reefs2go.com has set up a live rock site...I personally used saltwaterfish.com for the rock in my tanks only because they had the Caribbean rock I was looking for. I'm sure others will chime in with other sites for you.
You might also want to consider macro/base rock. This stuff would just need a good cleaning, since it isn't actual live rock. It will become live after time anyway.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
To avoid issues, I would set the rock up in another container and cure it...so yes, cycle the rock in another container. Always better safe than sorry.
In terms of websites, I know reefs2go.com has set up a live rock site...I personally used saltwaterfish.com for the rock in my tanks only because they had the Caribbean rock I was looking for. I'm sure others will chime in with other sites for you.
You might also want to consider macro/base rock. This stuff would just need a good cleaning, since it isn't actual live rock. It will become live after time anyway.

I actually already have some base rock. Just not enough rock to make the tank look "full".
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
I would stay along the same path then. Just don't add anything directly to your display. Cure any live you get or heavily rinse base.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I would stay along the same path then. Just don't add anything directly to your display. Cure any live you get or heavily rinse base.

Ok thanks for the info. And what if I just buy the live rock from the LFS that's already in fish tanks with fish? Should I still cycle? It's a more expensive route to take but I'm willing to do it.
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
I'd still want to separate it to keep an eye on it. Personally, I wouldn't want to add anything to my tank that I didn't want in there. That'd be the same as a curing period...but if you bought it and kept it submerged you can add it directly to your tank.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd still want to separate it to keep an eye on it. Personally, I wouldn't want to add anything to my tank that I didn't want in there. That'd be the same as a curing period...but if you bought it and kept it submerged you can add it directly to your tank.

I think I might just buy it from the LFS.....
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
We have an article on curing rock so as to add it straight to the tank. It's in the sw articles section.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dyl1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
We have an article on curing rock so as to add it straight to the tank. It's in the sw articles section.

How do I get to that? I'm on my iPhone.
__________________
Dyl1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Diesel84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
WWW.marcorocks.com
__________________

__________________
Diesel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.