Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on buying some more live rock for my aquarium, online. The problem is, I already have fish in my aquarium. So when it arrives do I need to cycle it before I put it in my tank or can I just rinse it off with saltwater and put it in. I do plan on getting overnight shipping to prevent die off. What's your thoughts? And any good websites you prefer?

To avoid issues, I would set the rock up in another container and cure it...so yes, cycle the rock in another container. Always better safe than sorry.
In terms of websites, I know reefs2go.com has set up a live rock site...I personally used saltwaterfish.com for the rock in my tanks only because they had the Caribbean rock I was looking for. I'm sure others will chime in with other sites for you.
You might also want to consider macro/base rock. This stuff would just need a good cleaning, since it isn't actual live rock. It will become live after time anyway.

To avoid issues, I would set the rock up in another container and cure it...so yes, cycle the rock in another container. Always better safe than sorry.
In terms of websites, I know reefs2go.com has set up a live rock site...I personally used saltwaterfish.com for the rock in my tanks only because they had the Caribbean rock I was looking for. I'm sure others will chime in with other sites for you.
You might also want to consider macro/base rock. This stuff would just need a good cleaning, since it isn't actual live rock. It will become live after time anyway.

I actually already have some base rock. Just not enough rock to make the tank look "full".

I would stay along the same path then. Just don't add anything directly to your display. Cure any live you get or heavily rinse base.

Ok thanks for the info. And what if I just buy the live rock from the LFS that's already in fish tanks with fish? Should I still cycle? It's a more expensive route to take but I'm willing to do it.

I'd still want to separate it to keep an eye on it. Personally, I wouldn't want to add anything to my tank that I didn't want in there. That'd be the same as a curing period...but if you bought it and kept it submerged you can add it directly to your tank.

I'd still want to separate it to keep an eye on it. Personally, I wouldn't want to add anything to my tank that I didn't want in there. That'd be the same as a curing period...but if you bought it and kept it submerged you can add it directly to your tank.

I think I might just buy it from the LFS.....

We have an article on curing rock so as to add it straight to the tank. It's in the sw articles section.

Thats where im ordering mine from. Just make sure you cure it!!

Thats where im ordering mine from. Just make sure you cure it!!

I think I'm gonna but like a plastic tub. Like the storage containers with lid. Would that be good for curing it?

Back
Top Bottom