Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vince420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I am starting a new saltwater tank I have a friend that will ship the rock overnight.the rock is coming out of his tank that is a couple years old do you think I will have any problem putting it in the tank that I will start up when it comes in.Thanks Vince

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If he don't have undesirable hitchhiker in his tank, then that should be fine, they do great job for filtration.

What kind of hitchhikers should I look for thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fireworms are not good, also have to watch out for aptasia..if there are lots of them I would try and scale them off and treat with aptasia X to rid the rock

Fireworms are not good, also have to watch out for aptasia..if there are lots of them I would try and scale them off and treat with aptasia X to rid the rock

You almost never see fireworms...only bristleworms. All bristles are good to have, in reality, as they are great members of the clean up crew in your tank. When you see someone posting a picture of a huge worm as a fireworm, it is really a bristle and they have a really big problem with overfeeding.

You have to cycle the tank anyway. Just throw the rock in with a raw shrimp to start the process.

You almost never see fireworms...only bristleworms. All bristles are good to have, in reality, as they are great members of the clean up crew in your tank. When you see someone posting a picture of a huge worm as a fireworm, it is really a bristle and they have a really big problem with overfeeding.

You have to cycle the tank anyway. Just throw the rock in with a raw shrimp to start the process.

+1
Fireworms and bristleworms are kinda interchangeable terms for any polychaete worm with sharp setae. The only true fireworm is Hermodice carunculata which like hank said rarely appears in our tanks.

Good vs Bad Worms

Correct. That is the difference. But, rarely seen. I've never seen one personally and only ID'd one through the forum. That is 1/1000 and most tanks just have overfed bristle worms. Bribo is right with his statements as well. Something so rare isn't anything to worry about.
Vince, have you received your new rock yet?

Good to know guys, thanks for the lesson..makes sense if you really think about it,earthworms are super beneficial for lawns and gardens so why would there saltwater brethen be any different in keeping our tanks in check:)

No still waiting for my ro/di to come then the rock will be ship.will update when I start the tank thanks to everyone that has responded to my question. I wll probably have a lot more down the road

If you don't even have the tank yet, you can leave the rock outside to freeze up (depending on your location of course) and kill off all life on the rock. This will also give you a strong ammonia spike for the cycle to begin. Shipping the rock over night out of water is going to give you plenty of die off anyway most likely, but it may not kill everything.

Back
Top Bottom