live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not dumb at all! It serves as decor, a hiding place for your fish, filtration, a place to grow food for certain fish, and a place to anchor macro algae ("marine plants") or food. For my own tanks, I consider it essential :]

It is the best "natural" filtration you can get (provided that enough is purchased). It is also besides the things that Corty mentioned, the best way to cycle a tank and also allows you livestock the best, most natural environment that we can offer in a captive system.

I just purchased 15 lbs of lr and before i had about 80 lbs of lava base rock in a 90gal tank with ls.
Will the live rock eventually spread to the lava rock. how long does that take?
rock is curing now, but how long does it take to become colorful?

thnx

Yes, the live rock will eventually spread the life to the base rock.
As far as the color, which is coralline algae, it depends on lighting and water quality. What kind of lights are you using?

i have 48inch florescent. I do want to get a 50 - 50 bulb for that light until i can upgrade... cash seems to put a damper on things.

another question.... in the mix of curing my LR, as of now the ammonia dropped from off the charts to 0 and nitrite is at 0. I figured it was done curing but some of the rock still has an odor to it.
Is the lr done cycling or should i wait to put it in the main tank?
been cycling for about 3 weeks.
thanks

I don't know if you are looking for any deals on live rock but I got mine from reefermadness.com, it runs around 180 bucks for 45# delivered 2nd day air, and at live aquaria it is 100 bucks for 45# but shipping looks like it extra, besides being in wisconsin, how do they get the rock there live? Man that must be a long boat trip. Anyway my lr is curing in my garage, it looks as good if not better than that at the local lfs for half the cost.

Back
Top Bottom