Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much live rock is required to get the cycle going? I finally have the playsand + live sand + RO/DI water in my tank. I was thinking to get enough live rock from the LFS to get the cycle started and then look into getting the rest of the live rock from liverocks.com. Or does the rock from liverocks.com come quickly?

You dont need a certain amount of lr for a cycle. What you do need is some dieoff on the lr to create an ammonia spike. This is step one of the cycle. The lr from LFS (if its the same as here) will have little life and has been cured in their tank for some time. That means no dieoff. You will need another source of ammonia such as a cocktail shrimp or a pinch of fish food. I would suggest ordering the rock from LR.com. As long as they are not diving they will have it to you within 2 days or less depending on when you call. Even though it is quick shipping you will should have enough die off to cycle the tank with.

Back
Top Bottom