Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock

OK your at the store and you decide to buy some live rock , how do you know its cured ?
Its not like you brought a test kit to test the water ?

Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I would ask them if it's cured and hope they are honest. :|

Old 04-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's scary, what if your dealing with someone who does not know which seems to be the case at most fish stores ,pretty big gamble to take
Old 04-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, assuming this is a respected lfs and you would be able to trust the employees. Otherwise, I wouldn't shop there. You always have the option of QT'ing the rock (this is what I do anyway) for a few days, just in case. This also give you a chance to remove any unwanted hitchhikers.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just noticed you are in FL. Are you close to liverocks.com? They are highly respectable and you can get fresh liverock through them. If you are within driving distance, that would be what I would do.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Never heard of them ,I will research,
Heres the thing though ,no one if perfect, what if there wrong and you buy rock that is not cured, I just thought there had to be a way to test it, allot of people say rock that is not cured smells real bad ,other then that I was wondering if there was a way to know rather then buy something that is not good or ready
Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK FOUND THEM ON THE WEB, LOOKING AT THERE AREA CODE WOULD HAVE TO SAY THEREO N THE WEST COAST , THAT AREA CODE IS NOT FROM ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE
Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I missunderstood your question. You could smell it. If it smells like the ocean, it is cured. If it has a bad or sour smell to it, then chances are there is die off and needs cured.

Liverocks.com is a site sponsor. Here is a link to sponsors, there's is second one down.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops, I forgot to post the link but you had found them anyway. I really don't know what else to offer on how to tell. Ask them how long they've had it. If it's only been a few days, then I would wait a few days before buying it. Also, if you buy the rock and it isnt' cured, you will get a spike of ammonia and it will cause your tank to cycle again. Depending on how much rock you add will depend on how much of a cycle you'll get. Just have to check your tank and do water changes if needed.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
Sorry, I missunderstood your question. You could smell it. If it smells like the ocean, it is cured. If it has a bad or sour smell to it, then chances are there is die off and needs cured.

Liverocks.com is a site sponsor. Here is a link to sponsors, there's is second one down.
I agree with him... Cured rock won't smell bad. Uncured rock typically smells sulfurous or bad eggs...

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com