Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EXVISOR13

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK your at the store and you decide to buy some live rock , how do you know its cured ?
Its not like you brought a test kit to test the water ?

That's scary, what if your dealing with someone who does not know which seems to be the case at most fish stores ,pretty big gamble to take

Well, assuming this is a respected lfs and you would be able to trust the employees. Otherwise, I wouldn't shop there. You always have the option of QT'ing the rock (this is what I do anyway) for a few days, just in case. This also give you a chance to remove any unwanted hitchhikers.

I just noticed you are in FL. Are you close to liverocks.com? They are highly respectable and you can get fresh liverock through them. If you are within driving distance, that would be what I would do.

Never heard of them ,I will research,
Heres the thing though ,no one if perfect, what if there wrong and you buy rock that is not cured, I just thought there had to be a way to test it, allot of people say rock that is not cured smells real bad ,other then that I was wondering if there was a way to know rather then buy something that is not good or ready

OK FOUND THEM ON THE WEB, LOOKING AT THERE AREA CODE WOULD HAVE TO SAY THEREO N THE WEST COAST , THAT AREA CODE IS NOT FROM ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE

Sorry, I missunderstood your question. You could smell it. If it smells like the ocean, it is cured. If it has a bad or sour smell to it, then chances are there is die off and needs cured.

Liverocks.com is a site sponsor. Here is a link to sponsors, there's is second one down.

Oops, I forgot to post the link but you had found them anyway. :oops: I really don't know what else to offer on how to tell. Ask them how long they've had it. If it's only been a few days, then I would wait a few days before buying it. Also, if you buy the rock and it isnt' cured, you will get a spike of ammonia and it will cause your tank to cycle again. Depending on how much rock you add will depend on how much of a cycle you'll get. Just have to check your tank and do water changes if needed. :?

Fluff said:
Sorry, I missunderstood your question. You could smell it. If it smells like the ocean, it is cured. If it has a bad or sour smell to it, then chances are there is die off and needs cured.

Liverocks.com is a site sponsor. Here is a link to sponsors, there's is second one down.

I agree with him... Cured rock won't smell bad. Uncured rock typically smells sulfurous or bad eggs...

Fluff said:
You could smell it. If it smells like the ocean, it is cured. If it has a bad or sour smell to it, then chances are there is die off and needs cured.

Agreed. If you're not sure what you're smelling for, just put it in a curing vessel for a short period & watch for an ammo spike. I strongly recommend you order from liverocks.com. Amazing rock at a great price. Check out their sponsor forum for all of the rave reviews.

Back
Top Bottom