live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
where is the best place to get cured live rock online?

i'm looking for 40-50 lbs to start

IMO the phase Cured Live rock and online retailers should not be used together.

Live rock that might be cured on the retailers end will experence some degree of dieoff during the shippment process. This is because most retailers will ship the LR covered only in damp newspapers. This is because its so costly to ship rock in the first place but then to add the weight of the water to keep it submerged would be very significant. Even submerged rock will have some die off unless they put enough heat packs to keep the water temp up to 75-80F during the trip.

With that said I got my last bit of live rock from www.ffexpress.com I belive they have a special now where you can get 45lbs of LR SHIPPED for $160.

www.petwarehouse.com also has live rock but they have it priced at $99 BEFORE shipping. Once you add shipping to it your back up close to Flying Fish's price.

Look here How to cure Live Rock for some helpful information on how to cure the rock once it arrives to you.

Tampa Bay Saltwater, http://www.tbsaltwater.com/ ships their rock submerged in water, they have probably the best cure time around, from what I have read from other reefers. The truth is there is no such thing as cured rock, bought online. Any rock that spends 24hrs in transit, will have die off, and will need some curing time.

if you want truly cured rock. try your lfs. the price will be higher but you can take it and put it directly in a established tank.

the LFS want $9.00 per pound for fiji rock. that seems really high. it's a new tank setup so what eould you suggest doing? (LFS or online)

Online! If it is new and there is nothing in the tank, you can cure the rock in the tank, and when it is done curing the tank will be cycled.

the tank is not empty. there are 5 damsels in it. (got those before i found your forum and found out about the "no live fish cycle" using the shrimp)

Another alternative for Florida Aquacultured LR is Gulf-View.com. I have bought from them in the past and was totally satisfied.
Brian

mdl91881 said:
the tank is not empty. there are 5 damsels in it. (got those before i found your forum and found out about the "no live fish cycle" using the shrimp)

Thats no problem. You have two options really.

You could see if the store will take them back. But if your gonna lose money on the deal no need to send them back.

Second option. Get two 30 gal trashcans, a 100W heater and a few good powerheads.

Mix up saltwater in trashcan A. Order your rock and put in trashcan A. Make up saltwater in trashcan B. After a few days check ammonia. If ammonia is above .5 then transfer rock from A to B and drain A and remake fresh saltwater in A. Repeat above steps until ammoina and nitrite are 0.00

so there is no way to cycle\cure the LR in the tank without killing the damsels

The problem is you could have SIGNIFICANT levels of ammoina in the tank due to the dieoff on the rock. This ammonia can easily become well above the limit where the damsels will be able to survive.

If you where willing to do daily water changes of 30-50% then you MIGHT be able to keep them in the same tank of the live rock but thats alot of water to be going thru given that it could take weeks to get the live rock to a point where it is no longer producing vast amounts of ammoina.

doubtful. the damsels probably wouldnt make it through that kind of ammonia surge, even though they are really tough. what size tank do you have. you might want to consider taking the damsels back because they might fill up your fish load making it tough to put any other fish in.

its a 55 gal tank.

not sure what you mean about "might fill up the fish load"

General rule is 1" of fish per 5 gal of water capacty. So a 55 gal would give you 11" of fish at ADULT size.

so with five damsels. you probably already have 5 inches of fish. that only leaves 6 inches. thats not alot of room to work with.

unless, of course, you are a fan of damsels and plan on them being a part of your tank once it is fully stocked. sometimes i forget that there are people who really like damsels. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom