Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2002, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

live rock

where is the best place to get cured live rock online?

i'm looking for 40-50 lbs to start

Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IMO the phase Cured Live rock and online retailers should not be used together.

Live rock that might be cured on the retailers end will experence some degree of dieoff during the shippment process. This is because most retailers will ship the LR covered only in damp newspapers. This is because its so costly to ship rock in the first place but then to add the weight of the water to keep it submerged would be very significant. Even submerged rock will have some die off unless they put enough heat packs to keep the water temp up to 75-80F during the trip.

With that said I got my last bit of live rock from www.ffexpress.com I belive they have a special now where you can get 45lbs of LR SHIPPED for $160.

www.petwarehouse.com also has live rock but they have it priced at $99 BEFORE shipping. Once you add shipping to it your back up close to Flying Fish's price.

Look here How to cure Live Rock for some helpful information on how to cure the rock once it arrives to you.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Tampa Bay Saltwater, http://www.tbsaltwater.com/ ships their rock submerged in water, they have probably the best cure time around, from what I have read from other reefers. The truth is there is no such thing as cured rock, bought online. Any rock that spends 24hrs in transit, will have die off, and will need some curing time.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
if you want truly cured rock. try your lfs. the price will be higher but you can take it and put it directly in a established tank.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

the LFS want $9.00 per pound for fiji rock. that seems really high. it's a new tank setup so what eould you suggest doing? (LFS or online)
Old 11-26-2002, 10:00 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Online! If it is new and there is nothing in the tank, you can cure the rock in the tank, and when it is done curing the tank will be cycled.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

the tank is not empty. there are 5 damsels in it. (got those before i found your forum and found out about the "no live fish cycle" using the shrimp)
Old 11-26-2002, 01:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another alternative for Florida Aquacultured LR is Gulf-View.com. I have bought from them in the past and was totally satisfied.
Brian
Old 11-26-2002, 01:29 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl91881
the tank is not empty. there are 5 damsels in it. (got those before i found your forum and found out about the "no live fish cycle" using the shrimp)
Thats no problem. You have two options really.

You could see if the store will take them back. But if your gonna lose money on the deal no need to send them back.

Second option. Get two 30 gal trashcans, a 100W heater and a few good powerheads.

Mix up saltwater in trashcan A. Order your rock and put in trashcan A. Make up saltwater in trashcan B. After a few days check ammonia. If ammonia is above .5 then transfer rock from A to B and drain A and remake fresh saltwater in A. Repeat above steps until ammoina and nitrite are 0.00

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

so there is no way to cycle\cure the LR in the tank without killing the damsels

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com