Live rock addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monroe10

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am getting fish this weekend, and I am wondering if it would be ok if I got live rock on Tuesday and add it to my tank? Any problems?

It could create a problem.

Where are you getting the live rock? Are you planning on curing it before adding it to the tank? How big is the tank and how much rock are you adding?

Um was thinking Tuesday night, not really about curing it, 55gal tank

It depends where you are getting the rock, and whether or not it is fully cured.

If it is shipping, you for sure will experience some die off and this will result in ammonia in the tank, which would not be good if you already have fish.

If you are getting it from a LFS it really depends on how well they cure their live rock.

Personally, I think it would be a lot better to get your liverock, make sure the tank is good to go and fully cycled after the liverock has had time in the tank, and then add fish.

If you add fish first, you are taking risks that you really don't need to take.

How long it has been there doesn't necessarily matter. The flow, the temperature, the lighting - all of these things could have an effect on what happens when you put it in your tank.

SW fish are expensive and we have a responsibility for the animals we place in our care. Nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium. I still recommend picking up the rock, keeping it for a few weeks, and then adding fish. The fish will be there when you have confirmed the tank is ready.

Back
Top Bottom