Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live rock again.

I have recently been told that I do not have enough life rock in my tank at this stage I only have an eel i and some life rock I've been told I need about another 20 kg of life rock my question is if I put this in gradually and do not put any further fish in will it upsets my levels. If the addition of life rock will upset my levels is there something that I can put into the tank such as a chemical that will settle the levels back to normal?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since you already have stock in the tank i would not add more live rock. I would suggest you get the base or dead rock as it will not upset your parameters and will become live within a few weeks and within a few months you will not be able to tell the difference between the live and base. And it helps that its alot cheaper. lol

Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #3

Thank you mate I need to know what is dead rock or base is it just rock I have quite a bit of dormant rock that does have a bit of growth, algea on it but it dies not look like the live rock that I bought could u tell me the difference pleas?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is dead rock or base rock and below that is live fiji rock. The live rock will have hitchhikers or other critters on it and has anerobic bacteria already present. Base rock is just that, rock calcium carbonate based.
The reason I suggest using base rock is that if you have any die off on the live rock you will experience spikes possibly in your parameters.

I know youre not in the states, lol, the "mate" gave it away, but these links might give you a good idea of what I'm speaking of.

AquaMaxx Dry Reef Rock

Here is live rock

Fiji`s Best Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock, Live Rock >
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #5

Thanks mate that's great.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As long as your parameters aren't out of whack then you shouldn't need more live rock. The suggestions people use for live rock amounts are just that, suggestions. They aren't solid rules to follow.

Lastly, even if you buy dry rock it will still need to be cured before going in your tank. There is a lot of built up nitrogen that can be released even if the rock is dry which can cause huge ammonia spikes.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dont mean to contradict you mebbid, not my intention, BUT I have used so much dry rock over the years and never ever had a spike. I of course rinse it off but thats it. I also have tested after adding it, just to be sure I;m good and never saw any spikes in anything.

Perhaps it matters where you get your base rock?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I bought 35lbs of dry rock from bulk reef supply. I VERY thoroughly rinsed it all and stuck it in my 40b. Then I added freshly mixed salt water to prepare to do a hyposalinity treatment for my fish. I let the tank sit with the filter and heater running for 4 or 5 days before adding my fish and on a whim tested the water for ammonia. It had spiked to 8+ ppm
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm that is very odd. I have purchased my base rock from reefrocks.net, reefcleaners and locally. Never had a hint of a spike. Lesson learned then, soak and test before adding.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com