Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live Rock & Base Rock?

Hey you all, quick question. I have 40lbs of completely dry rock currently in my cycling tank. I was curious, if I added maybe 2lbs of Live Rock from a well established tank, how much would it help? My cycle has been in Nitrites for nearly 2 weeks now, with no signs of dropping. I'm wondering if adding the bacteria will help with this?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #2

I am also in cycle.. a lot of people have told me you wanna have at least a third of live rock..maybe replace some with live rock? Or just add them..also you can throw a shrimp from the deli in the tank and let it rot..that will help the cycle..I have also added bacteria in a bottle..hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock will help you cycle faster as the BB you are trying to build up by adding the ammonia will already come with the rock . It doesn't make a difference how little or how much LR you use during cycle, as long as you have an ammonia source. I myself used dry rock and 2 deli shrimp, then got impatient after a month and added 10-15 lbs of LR. My cycle finished in a matter of days after adding the LR. Hope this helps
Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I added the raw deli shrimp 3 weeks ago. My cycle is well under way, I have 0 ammonia, 5 nitrites, & and nitrates is about 80. I'm going to introduce maybe 2lbs if the live rock, hoping it will produce more of an affect. As my nitrites have been a 5 for over a week!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size is your tank? Unless you have a smaller tank 2 pounds of LR will not help as quickly as I had mentioned with my cycle. As crazy as this sounds I'm a little jealous, lol. My tank is 90 gal and I tested every day for 6 weeks & never saw any increase in nitrItes. For the longest time I thought I was doing something wrong. But it's funny how nature works it's wonders on its own time, sometimes faster than you'd imagine! Wish you all the best. LR is definitely the way to go for a quicker cycle, nonetheless.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah each tank seems to run its on course. It is a 40 gallon breeder, with a 20 long sump. It's has roughly 40lbs of dry reef saver rock. I added about a cup of live sand from a well established tank, along with 1.5 shrimp & the cycle started after 4 days I believe. I was just hoping the "live rock" would introduce better suited bacteria in order to help convert the nitrites.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #7

My 8 gallon nano has never spiked either..everything is perfect still with 2 damsels and over feeding for a week

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com