Live Rock & Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so there is a person on CL that is selling live rock and coral frags. I want to buy some live rock to add to my current rock but don't know if adding the new rock will cause a spike even if I transport the new rock in buckets of water. The seller lives within 20 min of my house so they wouldn't be out of a tank very long. He is also selling frags which I would like to buy too but is that adding to much to a tank all at once. My livestock is two clowns, hermits, and snails. Don't know the best thing to do....should I just by frags from him and just order base rock? His rock is covered in mushrooms so that's a plus too. Also I use regular IO not the reef crystals ( I am going to start do my PWCs with reef crystals soon. ) am I laking trace elements to support corals with just IO? Would I need to add elements? Sorry so many questions just want to make the best decision. Thanks!

The best thing to do is always QT. Get a heater in a bucket for the LR. Not just for the possible ammonia spike, but to make sure there weren't any baddies hitching a ride that would mess up your setup.

As for coral, if you have room for it you can put it in. Once a tank is cycled you can throw in as much as you want as long as you can supply it the needed nurishment, usually strong enough lighting and flow.

It is ok for now if you aren't using reef crystals. It really is only an addition of calcium, but if you dont have a large stock of corals requiring calcium then you will be fine. There is no need to ever use additives if you do weekly water changes. And if you want, when you need to get more salt pick up reef crystals.

Ok thanks. I have a 20 gal long mixing tank I guess I could just use it right now for a qt.

Back
Top Bottom