Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
once you make it which takes at least 24 hours to dry you have to let it soak in freshwater for a month or more to be safe cement has a high ph level and you have to let it leach out by letting it soak in freshwater and changing that water every so often to make the diy rocks you get some portland cement type one or 2 and crushed oystershells get from a feed store they use it for chickens i did i think it was like 1 cup cement to 10 cups oyster shell you mix that up make it a little thick so you can mold it better make you a mold out of sand in a box or rubbermaid and pour it into the mold let it dry and then take the process of soaking it in water for a month or so. you can use a lot of techniques to make the rock more poreus by using pasta in the mix which disloves over time in water or using ballons in the mold thier are alot of techniques you can use some people put plastic shaving in the mix to make coraline grow faster on the rock once its in the tank it is a very cheap way to make rock and very effective i have some in my tank that i cant even tell i made it anymore plus you can make any desin you want with diy rock so it makes aquascaping alot easier......

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
ill have to try that and if i let it sit on the fresh water do i use tap water or ro/di water

Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
tap will be fine alot of people actually place them in a river or if able saltwater area like a bay but tap is perfect its wat i used
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
oh ok does it need water movement, and after the month i have to cure it b4 i put it on the dt?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamavelar View Post
oh ok does it need water movement, and after the month i have to cure it b4 i put it on the dt?
Abe, it depends on the PH as to how long you soak the DIY rock. If you put it in your tank to early the PH will "KILL" your fish & corals. Let me say that again..... "You have to test the water for PH".
If you make a small amount you can put in the tank of your toilet. Every time you flush it clean water in the tank again.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamavelar View Post
and how much is it for dead rock about????? and if i was to buy it should i cure it or just put it in my tank like that?????

Im not sure where it would be where you're located, but here, live rock is about $12 per pound, whereas dead is like $4 a pound.

Im not sure if you have to cure it or what.... someone else will have to explain that
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow thats expensive i get lr here for 5 dollars and the cheapest i seen it is 3.50, oh ok yeah i been asking about dead rock and i think the guy said 89 cents per lb but it could of been 1.89 and also im thinking about making it,what would you guys think about adding a pirate ship i seen one of them in the sw aquarium at the lfs but idk if its a good idea
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

personally it's up to you. Not my pick.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah ive been thinking about it and i might just buy lr or really put all my efforts on making it myself and to take my time
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
If you make a small amount you can put in the tank of your toilet. Every time you flush it clean water in the tank again.
that is an awesome idea... im gonna try it and tell everybody that i put rock from my toilet in my tank

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com