Live rock & Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefermadness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to purchase 100 lbs of Fiji LR. Is there a cheaper way than going to the LFS and paying 4.99 a pound? Also how good is the Fiji pink live sand in a bag. I've seen the "expiration date" but will I get quality life out of it?

You can check a few places on line, but $4.99/lb is the lowest I have seen. I also like to get mine from my lfs, this way I know what I am getting.

I used the CaribSea Aragalive sand in a bag, and wasnt impressed with it. What I would suggest is get regular Aragonite sand and see if your lfs will give you a couple of scoops out of their established tanks (I know mine did when I spent a few bucks there).

I paid 8.99 for mine. I believe online It`s going to be just a little less but with shipping it will be more. As Sparkie said I bought all mine at LFS because It`s already cured(most of the time but not always) and I can pic my pieces. I also dont want the surprises that come with the shipped LR (Bad worms,shrimps and crabs). Also as Sparkie said you`d be better off to get the araganite dry sand and if your LFS has real LS add it to your tank. I got the aragalive also but I seriously wonder if it was really "live". Good Luck

Only $4.99 a pound, that is awesome! I pay $8.99-12.99.
I agree with the other two. I would also add, do a mixture of base rock and LR, the base will become live.

Thanks for your response. I guess I wont be complaining about the price of live rock again LOL. If I use base rock, what type should I use and what ratio. I could probably afford 25-75. I am not very fond of the concrete stuff I have seen. Furthermore, concrete contains lye and other chemicals that could eventially degrade and contaminate.

The base rock I am talking about looks mostly like LR but is bleached and should be white. They should have it at any LFS, sitting on the shelf. I'd go for maybe 75Lbs or 100Lbs if you can swing it. I would mix it amongst your regular LR.

Back
Top Bottom