Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
do a search for "blender mush" on this forum and it will give you many recipes.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to kart_racer3
I would like to check the phosphate level in my water, but unfortunately the standard test kit that I purchased with my aquarium did not contain a test for that chemical. Are there any other tests that I should conduct, beside the standard pH, Alkalinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia tests?

So far, based on you advice I will try to lower my phosphate levels by reducing my feedings back to every other day, I want to purchase a PhosBan Reactor, an additional Maxi Jet Powerhead or two to eliminate troublesome flow areas, and I'll take your advice about the nassarious Snails (they look particularly interesting). Does that sound like a decent start to fixing my problems?

Also, is the PhosBan reactor a temporary fix in that when the phosphate levels are low that it is no longer needed? Or is it a device that I can keep installed in my sump for a long run period of time?

Thanks again for your advice.

kart_racer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'd say that's a good start... I wouldn't neccessarily reccomend a PhosBan reactor at this point, I think I'd wait til you confirm you have a major PO4 issue first. Invest in an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals PO4 test kit, i'm not sure on overall accuracy, but it's pretty simple to read. Do this before you go nuts on the reactor.

note: I use phosban in a fine mesh bag (comes with phosban jar) tightly rolled up and with another mesh bag filled with carbon wrapped tightly around it, then rubber bands are wound around them to keep it all together. This equates to low phosban flow and no cloudiness, all without a reactor.

cowman345 is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com