Live rock brown spots.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankTastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have brown spots like nicotine stains appearing on my live rock. Any ideas what it is?

New tank? If so, diatoms... Shows that your cycle is moving along nicely... Red leg hermits and turbo snails will take care of it.

Seems our inexperience has killed the 2 x red leg hermits and all 3 x turbo snails. Feel so guilty and low right now. Also lost 2 x cleaner shrimp and 1 x blood shrimp today. The fish seem ok though and the Mexican hermits have are still going.

Not sure I dare risk trying shrimps or redlegs again. I hate being responsible for the deaths of living things.

Will the Mexican hermits do the same job?

Yes please. Rparkes200@gmail.com.

Amm 0
Trite 0
Trate 5

Added today, 4 x hermits, 2 x shrimps, 3 x snails.

The 2 shrimps died within 20 mins. The snails may or may not be dead it's hard to tell they have not moved in the 4 hours they have been in same with the red legged hermits. The 2 x Mexican hermits have been round the tank 5 or 6 times.

Thanks

Rob

You don't need a clean up crew. Your water changes and feeding habits should control any algae.
That said, I think you should do a long drip and temperature acclimation for any inverts.

What started as a few brown spots is now full on coverage of my tank. The only things without it on thence now is the fish. I guess if they stop moving for long enough they might get covered lol.

How long does this stuff stick around? Its not nice to look at.

I'm not sure why your CUC is dying off.. How are you acclimating them? My cycle finished and the next day I checked on my tank and it was covered in diatoms. Got worse for about 1-2 weeks and disappeared. Added a fish and had 1 pistol shrimp 2 hermits and 1 snail none of which were affected by the bloom. The algae shouldn't Hurt anything you should start researching other options.. Any chemicals in the water? Temp?

Temp is 25 degrees Celsius must be some chemicals in the water but no idea what. The fish are healthy and fine, the 2 x Mexican crabs are fine, the 2 x really small rock crabs are fine the snails are dead and have been removed. The shrimps are dead and been removed. The 4 x red leg hermits 2 x large and 2 x small are still alive as they regularly go in and out of their shells and occasionally move less than a cm at a time in a week none have moved more than a 2cm in total. Nobodies what's going on. Tested for all usual stuff.

Salinity
Ph
Calcium
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite

Think that's about all I have tests for :(. I have read loads now but nobody seems to have this problem. I drip acclimatised them really carefully and slowly.

Could it be copper? Maybe some one sold you some copper infested live rock? I'm not sure either.

My LFS does advanced testing like for copper and other chemicals/concerns mayb you have one around you that does as well? Im sure there are advanced test kits too. I'd hold off on more livestock until you know the problem

I purchased a copper testing kit at lunch time and some fresh salt water. Need to do a change tonight anyway as nitrate sill high. Will test the water for copper at the same time. Will update on my findings and at the weekend I will take some water into the lfs for testing.

Thanks once again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom