Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live Rock came in today!!!

Just wanted to put up a few pics of my new live rock. I got it this morning. 4 pretty good size rocks and several smaller pieces. I'm pretty happy with it to start with. The one thing I wasn't expecting when I opened the box was the smell. The rock was packed in a styrofoam container with damp newspaper. When I lifted the top off the styrofoam.....holy moley. The smell was horrible.

My water isn't really green. Just a bad combination of a low quality digital camera and taupe colored walls.

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Looks good!! Who did you get it from?
With the smell, I would assume that there is significant die off. Monitor you ammonia and nitrite levels well and make sure they get to zero before adding any livestock.
Congrats, your well on your way now!!!
Any critters yet??

Old 09-05-2004, 01:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got it from liveaquaria.com. They were running a special that I would have been a fool to pass up. LR at my LFS was like 5.99 a lb, I got all 45 lbs for half of what I would have paid at the LFS.

Just gonna let the tank cycle with the live rock for now. I guess now I should start thinking about what livestock to put in it. Silly as this is, the only thing that I have decided on right now is a Coral Banded Shrimp and a red scooter blenny, I am open to suggestions after that. I think since this is my first tank and all, I am going to go the passive route for fish.

I know in the future that I want a Lion. The only thing I am worried about with it is my roommate is deathly allergic to bee stings and I have been told that the sting of a lion is very similar.

Anyone have any (unfortunate) experience with getting stung?

Wes

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
Old 09-05-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
AWESOME ROCK!!! I get my rock in either Thursday or Friday...ill post pics when i get it! i bet your totally excited! and nice seashells by the way!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I picked those up off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale about 3 years ago. Never knew why I was hanging on to them until today

Old 09-05-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Nice rock, next time you should try to look @ liverocks.com...
You get it the next day and little to no die off...FULL of life...
This is my rock the day after I got it...
Old 09-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the rock. I would not worry about the smell since you are still cycling. I would not put that rock into an established tank but you should be fine. It must have had a lot of die-off, how long was it in transit?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I ordered it last Monday. Live Aquaria only ships LR on Tuesdays for 2nd day delivery. So it should have been here Thursday. I got an email on Wednesday night saying there was a shipping delay and it wouldn't be shipped out til next week. Thursday night, they called me to tell me they were gettiing a shipment in on Friday and would I be available for delivery on Saturday. (wow thats a whole bunch of days). I got it yesterday. I think it's pretty fresh. It came from California and I live in TN.

Next time I will buy from liverocks.com so that I can have more diversity in my tank with the rock.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is certainly good customer service from them. Sounds like you got it overnight which is good. Hey can't beat the price and it looked like it had some good color on it. Enjoy your new rock...Lando
Old 09-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

is there any way to turn plain live rock into that beautiful purple live rock?

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com