Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

live rock compartment necessary in a sump if i have a fuge?

To begin with i should ask why you guys have live rock compartments in your sumps, are they supposed to perform the same function as a fuge? If i need the lr compartment where should it be in the sump? I was planning on this arrangement for my 40g breeder sump: Skimmer>Return<Fuge. Thanks!!!

Old 09-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey GSXR, I read a thread lately that said if you had enough LR in your tank, you didnt need any in the sump. Then I have also read that the LR rubble in your sump is used to control bubbles. I went out and got about 8 lbs of rubble just in case. I havent switched from wet dry to sump yet, I am still waiting for the CS6-2+ to arrive (its backordered....grrrr). Did you get your ASM skimmer yet?

Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have live rock in the sump simply to add to the biofiltration. ou can only put so much rock in your display tank and still have the fish move around so I put more rock in the sump. Thats why I do it and thats why I suggest others do it when posting advice.

Its in no way a must or a requirement.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
To begin with i should ask why you guys have live rock compartments in your sumps, are they supposed to perform the same function as a fuge?
Sort of. I have LR rubble in my sump for the biological filtering benefits. This does provide good biological filtration, as a fuge does, but a fuge utilizes light and algaes for nutrient export. The LR rubble in my sump "processes" the NO3 but does not "consume" it.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats up andy? I received the ASM the other day and it looks good, unfortunately i can't say anything about how well it works as it is just one of the many pieces i've accumulated in preperation for starting the tank up. that sure does suck though about having the euroreef on backorder, if you're anything like myself the second i order something i am eagerly awaiting its arrival and its things like backorders that are really irritating.

I guess i'll forgo on the lr in the sump since i want a fuge as large as i can get so i can have a large pod population to one day support a couple of mandarins. I am anticipating having about 250lbs of lr when the tank is up and running so that should be more than enough filtration especially with the skimmer.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey GSXR, yep, I was eagerly awaiting it as soon as I processed the order. I already had a new sump that was big enough to fit the skimmer. I am hoping that they will ship it this week. If not I may order one elsewhere and bite the bullet by paying a slightly higher price.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Feel ya there! I can't believe how big the ASM is, the box showed up at the door and i was like holy sh--!!! Good luck with getting that skimmer though!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL!!! What size did you get?

Tags
live, live rock, rock, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com