Live rock curing cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be using this post to demonstrate the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate cycle. Over the next few weeks I will be adding to this post my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings on the live rock that I just got in.

If all goes as expected you should see the ammonia levels rise and then the nitrite levels rise while the ammonia levels the begin to fall. eventually the ammonia levels will drop to 0 and the nitrite levels will start to drop. Once the nitrite and ammonia levels are both 0.00 the cycle is complete and the rock is ready for the display tank.

I expect on taking readings every 3 days. This should be frequent enough to get a good range of readings.

• 9/18
    Ammonia = 0.3
    Nitrite = 2.5
    Nitrate = 2.0

9/21
    Ammonia = 1.0
    Nitrite = 0.0
    Nitrate = 0.0

9/24
    Ammonia = .5
    Nitrite = .2
    Nitrate = 1

9/28
    Ammonia = .02
    Nitrite = .1
    Nitrate = 2

Comments:

9/18
I must say I am a bit supprised by the first days readings. I was not expecing such high nitrite. The rock has only been in the water for 4 hours and we already have .3 ammonia. This is not a good sign for a short cycle.

9/21
Well as you can see the ammonia has really taken off as would be expected. What is corious is that the Nitrite and Nitrate are not reading 0.00 or close enough to that to make it hard to tell on the test kit scale. I also put the LR in fresh saltwater today. Effectivly a 100% water change.

9/24
As you can see the ammonia levels have effectivly been cut in half by help of the water change on the 21st and also the additional 3 days. The nitrite is on the rise as it is converting the ammonia and the nitrate is also making an appearance again.

9/28
It looks like the curing pocess is almost finished. Should have 0.00 readings on ammonia within a day or so. Nitrite will then soon follow. At that time I can move the rock into the main display tank.

Well the rock is currently in a 30 gal trashcan full of saltwater with a heater and a few powerheads. (I might (not sure if I want to or not) move the rock over to my currently empty 45 gal tank and cure it in there but reguarless the procedure will be the same.

Every few days I plan on moving the rocks around under the water so that all areas of the rocks get ample water flow. As I move the rocks around I will visually inspect for dead or dieing areas. Those areas will be scrubbed off with a stiff nylon brissle brush.

This is the same procedure I followed when curing my initall batch of live rock.

Aaron,

Would you do the scrubbing of the rock(s) with suspicious die-off separate from the rest of the rocks being cured?

Great idea of yours to post your readings as this rock cures. I for one will learn a lot from your information. Thanks for the efforts! And, would you tell us which manufacturer's test kit you utilize, please.

Sue

Would you do the scrubbing of the rock(s) with suspicious die-off separate from the rest of the rocks being cured?

I will put some saltwater in a 5 gal bucket. I will take the rocks out individually and inspect them for foul smelling areas. These area's indicate death so I will then scrub any thing that is on the surface of the rock off on that area. Give the rock a good rinse in the saltwater bucket and then back into the curing vat.

would you tell us which manufacturer's test kit you utilize, please

Seachem kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I use the 30min ammonia test scale to provide more accurate readings.

Well I know I did not follow my own advice.

I dont have any more readings beyond 9/28 because on 9/28 I put the LR in my show tank.

I know I know the ammonia and nitrite where not at 0.00. But I felt they was low enough that the established sand bed and existing 50lbs of LR would easily be able to handle any ammonia or nitrite from the new rock.

I was prepaired for an emergency removal and water change but I did not need it as the ammonia never became an issue once the rock was in the show tank.

I must say that I would have never thought of putting this rock in with the ammonia above .1

Back
Top Bottom