Live rock, filters and refuges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morphviper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am old school, but I see all over this forum that poeple are loosing there filtration systems and using skimmers and LR for filtration. I have tried this with no luck. I had to do more water changes had more gunk on the bottom of the tank. I hooked my filter back up and I was cleaning the foam pad about every two days for a week until the stuff got back under control. I am just wondering how everyone is doing this new filtration method with luck and keeping the water crystal clear. the same with refuges? how does that filter anything? I have a wet dry with a light on it 24/7 and my macro algea grows great down there. I have no nitrates or any other problems. I maybe spend about 20 minutes a week working on it.(that is just compinsating for the water loss from evaperation.) How are these new methods better than the old way?

Not wanting to start arguments, but just very curious about the success and logic of it?

Thanks

morphviper said:
I have a wet dry with a light on it 24/7 and my macro algea grows great down there. I have no nitrates or any other problems. I maybe spend about 20 minutes a week working on it.
I would say there's nothing wrong with what you have there. A certain filtration system will only work as well as it's designed and it's limits known. More often than not, excess nitrate production is rarely if ever from the equipment, it's the improper use of it and expecting it to do more than it was designed to.

I say if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom