Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
as far as the pvc part...i heard not to use that due to critters could move sand and shift things around and cause the live rock to fall....I honestly dont see why you would want to either...this is jsut what ive heard/read about on this fourm

Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The use of PVC is intended to prevent the shifting of the rock by keeping the sand sifting critters from undermining the sand support underneath them. It's not likely that even the mightiest crawly thing could budge a PVC ring with rock on top of it, but it could easily burrow UNDER the rocks, causing them to sink into the burrow and possibly collapse the stucture.

I read the case of one guy who lost an eel inside of a rock collapse. Not to mention the coral on top of the stack.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't use PVC who've never had a problem. That would be the best thing. I'm just not taking chances.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
good point!!....makes since
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not a dumb question. Yes it does count as a whole. Its good to see somebody from the tampa area here.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

My rock is on the tank bottom (not sitting on the sand) but on the glass. I'd go with closer to 50, if you can. Even 35 base, 15 live would be fine, though the more live the prettier it will look when you get it . The LR in your sump would count as long as it can be submerged. LR.com rock is great. Scout the rock for critters before you put the rock in your tank. Easier to get them off BEFORE you put it in your tank rather than after. I ended up with quite a few red crabs that were wreaking havoc on my corals so I sent them packing. Unfortunately it took pulling rock out from under some frags to get them out of the tank and the frags don't really like that so much!!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Kurt99...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!
Just one more plug for www.liverocks.com It is wonderful rock and comes packaged very well. Lots of color, lots of life and great customer service.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sheesh. I can't wait until my order from there...I haven't even considered anywhere else. From what everyone says on here, it's worth it. My LFS LR looks terrible and has no color, and no living things on it. I mean, I like supporting local shops, but it's a no-brainer!
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

go with 1.5lbs -2lbs per gallon.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, I got my live rock yesterday and placed it in tank. My canister filter is running good. Temperature is steady at about 79. Ph was at 7.8 which is a little low. I added some Ph increaser solution. Any better ways of increasing my Ph??? My protein skimmer will arrive monday.

My big question is: When do I start doing water changes?? Do I let the tank cycle completely before I start doing 10% per week??[/list][/code]
Old 02-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can do a water change now but it will hinder the cycling process. Wait until ammonia and nitrites are zero. At that time the nitrates should be high and you should perform a large water change of about 50% to reduce them. After that a 10% change every week or two will be good.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com