Live rock from another tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pflerch3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting live rock that has been in a different tank for a bit now and has been cured once. It's from craigslist. Do I need to cure it again upon entering it into my new tank. My new tank has a couple corals and fish and I was wondering how or if I needed to acclimate it or cure it?

I may be wrong but I think adding new LR to your already established setup can cause Ammonia spikes. So if you decide to put it in just keep an eye on your levels, and if they go up way too high try a PWC.

You might want to just put the LR into a container with warm water and a powerhead until that water cycles (or not) just to be sure. It would stink for you to lose a fish.

IF it has been in a running system you can add it right to your tank. Make sure that it has not been treated with copper meds or it will kill your coral.

Yep, it can go right in, just make sure you keep the rock as wet as possible while transporting it. :-D

Back
Top Bottom